Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Wind River Range (Wyoming)

I was wondering if anyone here has ever fished the Wind River Range in Wyoming. I'm planning on heading west for some backcountry fishing this summer and have read some great things about this area. Supposedly there are tons of lakes filled with cutts, goldens, and brookies. Any input is appreciated!

Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Wind River Range (Wyoming)

dhc,

Not sure exactly where you're specifically headed. *Did a week pack trip about 24 miles in back in '02 when my brother lived in Thermop (who's now in Cody). *We drove to Pinedale to meet his buddies and to the trail head. *Beautiful country!!! *Went above treeline & set up base camp. *Did day hikes to all the lakes for goldens, cutties & bows. * I'll find out exactly where it was. *Came about 25 yds from a smaller bull moose on the way out on the trail!! * * *

I will suggest this, get some bear spray & suggest packin a gun (or 2 - check the regs though B4 hand). *We took a couple 45's and his .454...it's Griz country * *We never had any "visitors" * but cooked next to our tents the last night after we hiked halfway out hopin to see one...

mtb

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM

Im looking at the west slope, central region of the Winds...more specifically, North Fork and Victor Lake. It's supposed to be a real remote area. Trust me, I'll have my bear spray! I have been looking at this area as a nice alternative to the crowds I'm sure to encounter in Yellowstone. Gawd, I cant wait till summer.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 AM

We were around Boulder Lake. Talked to big bro last night. He likes the Pinedale side, thinks it's prettier country. Don't know your mountain skills, but he said they're a little more dangerous than the Bighorns and more griz in the Winds too. Suggested getting a guide if you have any doubts.

He also suggested doing a couple days in the Winds then head up to Jackson, & maybe end with a couple days in the Bighorns towards Greybull. There's goldens up there to.

Have fun and enjoy that beautiful country!!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Thats exactly the area I'm looking at going to. On the other side of the range is an indian reservation. I read that it's $20 a day for a permit and you can't even access some of the trails without a guide. Anyway, I plan on spending at least a few days in the Winds then heading up toward Jackson and maybe spending a couple of days in the Teton wilderness. Hopefully I'll still have a few days to fish Yellowstone.