Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Default flurocarbon tippets or full leaders

What is the best leader rig? Flurocarbon tippet or a full flurocarbon leader. I know its cheaper to just use a flurocarbon tippet but is there any real advantage to using a full flurocarbon leader? Any help from all you experts would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: flurocarbon tippets or full leaders

Jack,

I'm no expert but I will give an opinion on what I have read. I was going to switch from regular monofilament to fluorocarbon a few months ago until I did a little research. What I read said that flurocarbon tends to sink more than monofilament. Since I fish small dry flies most of the time it didn't make sense to me to spend the extra money and then possibly be unhappy. I didn't change.

Someone, probably everyone, knows much more on the subject than I so please help us all out. I may decide to try the flurocarbon when I use nymphs.

Good luck, gary <*))))><
Old 01-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Jack,

I only make ot to GSMNP 5-6 times a year. I usually spend most of my time fishing the Davidson River in N.C. I have a stretch of water that I have fished for 3-4 years on the Davidson, usually takes me about 2 1/2 hours to fish it. Normally fishing small nymphs on monofilamant catching 5-6 fish on this stretch was a good day for me. A while back a bought orvis mirage tippet. Now when I fish the same section of water with same nymphs, my average days are 3-5 fish and good days are more like 10-12. Everything I used to do is the same, the only factor that has changed is my tippet. This has made me a believer in flouro for fishing nymphs. I don't really have much experience with flouro vs. mono in dries, is usually jusy use mono on my dries. I'll leave the dry fly debate to someone else on here who knows much more than me. Just thought I would tell you about my experiences on the Davidson, I'm a big fan of flouro when fishing nymphs. I don't use and entire flouro leader, just enough tippet for whatever depth of water I am fishing.

Matt
Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info. If anyone else has anything to add, please do so.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Nobody else has said it but I prefer a 9ft 4x leader then tie the appropriate tippet material to the leader depending on water conditions. I find it useful when highsticking as well and it has never let me down.