Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-31-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Don't know where else to post this

I didn't see a proper forum for this, so I'll post it here:

Judge sides with state in Pa. fishing access case

A section of the Little Juniata River on which an exclusive fishing club operates belongs to the state, and the club cannot prevent anglers and others from using it, a judge ruled.

The river had historically been considered navigable for commerce and in 1794 was declared a public highway by the state, meaning the public has access, according to an opinion by Huntingdon County Judge Stewart L. Kurtz dated Monday.

The Spring Ridge Club contended that it had a right to post a 1.3-mile section of the river as off-limits. The Little Juniata is one of the state's better-known trout waters, having recovered from severe pollution problems before the Clean Water Act.

According to a club brochure, a membership deposit costs about $90,000 and annual dues for a legacy membership are listed at "under $5,000." The club also has access to other waters whose ownership and privacy are not in dispute.

-----------

Here's the link to the article: http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/16581215.htm

I'm glad justice was done. Unfortunately, Donny Beaver (owner of the fishing club) is trying to privatize public water in several other areas of PA and now in OH. Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end for his "clubs."
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Don't know where else to post this

A bit more.

After the club was told they weren't allowed to restrict boat access to the water, this was what they put on their site:

http://www.springridgeclub.com/noticecanoes.html

Despicable.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 AM

thanks for posting this. next time I go up to PA I may have to check the Little J out. If you click on the above link, go to their photo gallery, you'll see what kind of monsters are being pulled out of there. insane.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:08 AM

I saw this earlier today, too...the consensus was that they'll appeal, and drag this out as long as they can, but that they probably don't have a legal leg to stand on. If it is determined that the state owns the bottom of the river, no one can block access.

We have a similar problem here in Louisiana. A lot of landowners have put up weirs, etc across canals and bayous, claiming private property. The problem is, due to all the wetlands loss we have had the last 100 years, it is almost impossible to determine if the water was originally navigable or not. When you go out in the marsh fishing, you expect to see signs declaring private hunting leases - no problem there. However, I saw a sign at the entrance to a rather large lagoon a few months back - in fact it was wide open, and it was claiming no hunting OR FISHING...I turned around, but I found it hard to believe that they could claim an entire 80 acre expanse of water, deep enough to float a boat, as private.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 AM

wow....those photos.....either there is only room for hawgs or they are all holding the same two fish..

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 AM

I may have to make a special trip just so I can float that section.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:07 PM

The Little Juniata River is a terrific fishery, but the "slam hogs" in the pictures are mostly the result of a program of stocking large trout in the formerly private section by the fishing club and the "stewards" employed at the club taking daily walks along the creek with buckets of hatchery pellets (all as so I am told). The River has about 13.5 miles of catch and release regulated water. It has a large variety of aquatic life. This club section is 1.3 miles long.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:48 PM

It sure is nice to see the average Joe still has a chance to win. I wonder if they think they should be allowed to control the air above the property as well?

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:17 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't get it! * Join an "exclusive" club to go fishing? *Typical corporate greed and over indulgence mentality!! *Why don't these guys just sit back in a river side jacuzzi,sip champagne,have someone else catch the buffet fed fish for them,take pictures holding the fish as if they caught them, then, send a picture by cell phone to their buds with the caption" Look what I just caught!" Jeeeze!! *No thank you. *I will happly hump-it-in to a remote mountain stream,relish every moment of it and maintain my dignity! *I think Lewis & Clark are rolling over in their graves! *Not to offend, but how far does it have to go

You can call me a simple man. *I promise I won't be offended.

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)