Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TNGlen
Default Re: trout stamps?

Just did a little reading. All the regs say is that if you are "fishing for trout" you must have a trout stamp. No stamp would fly pretty much anywhere you could convince an officer there were other fish to catch.

Additionally, on wading in a buffer zone.....was the reg specified at any of the accesses to get into the tailwater? There are no specific laws that I could find that relate to wearing a PFD (if that was what your girlfriend was fined for) while wading or approaching a dam too closely. I would think that the buffer zone would have to be clearly marked. Did you just pay the ticket or go to court?

I think that in our postings on Fisheries Management, we might start pushing a trout stamp requirement above a specific geographic spot on the tailwaters.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:36 PM

I don't know if he paid it, or went to court. He said that the TWRA officer went around handing out citations to everybody who was in the vicinity. He estimated that about 15 people all got ticketed for the same violation. I am not even sure which tailwater he was on, and he did not say anything about any regulation postings in the area. I do remember him telling me that it was around $200.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-02-2007, 05:51 PM

BillSpey,
This has been one of the funniest and most unbelievable threads I have read in awhile. *NOT only did you see something "as rare as hen's teeth", or on the order of a modern day sighting of a eastern relative of sasquatch (a TWRA officer at the Clinch River), he did not know the law that he was assigned to enforce! *I love it.

Because of your incredible luck in sighting something as improbable as a UFO, I am asking, do you happen to have the winning numbers on Powerball for this weekend so that I can retire and fish with Running Wolf?

Flat Fly'n
Old 02-02-2007, 09:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TNGlen

Chem,

Sorry I called your friend a girlfriend.....I have no idea where that one came from....
Old 02-03-2007, 01:40 AM

runningwolf, thanks for posting those prices. last year I stopped up there and fished a day on the way to somewhere else, $25, stopped on the way back, another $25. I could have just bought a full year lic. for the price of those two days. I might have to do that this year. It's kind of like dollywood though. when you go you can pay an extra $20 on top of your ticket and just get a season pass. you never end up going back again though, so they win.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:47 AM

Suggestions to all! Having working knowledge in regards to this matter it's better to spend the few extra dollars on a stamp than to get a citation. The citations are expensive and if you don't pay them I hope you enjoy the federal court judge regarding the matter! I've seen plenty of people come into the Blount county jail for, undersize fish and hunt/fish w/o a license. These guys don't play around and it can get really expensive...After all I'd rather give the money which goes towards a good cause (ie; stocking and fishery management) than to the fed govt were the money will be dispursed however they so please. Also to add I'd say $200 is probably an understatement maybee three years ago. The average state citation is around $200 to 250 they start at $190 so a federal matter (parks) would probably be a little steeper. If your unsure of a catch (size) I'd probably through it back..And if your fishing with out a stamp and you get a ticket for it well....I hope you pay your fine!

2 cents yet again~fishermansfly
Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 AM

I never give it a second thought. *I simply look at it as an annual donation for a good cause. What else can you do for a year, as often a you want, at this cost.

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 AM

i live outta state and have been buying tenn. year license for 3 years now and have always got all species.a little extra cost,but when you travel to fish a place, the last thing you want to have to deal with is law problems,also,it seems to me twra does a good job with stocking and management of its waters that hopefully the extra cost is going to fund these things.i`ve always had good fishing trips in tennessee(yes,i said always )
dalefish
Old 02-03-2007, 02:54 PM

I know I've heard other people say that as long as you don't keep any fish, you don't need a stamp. Doesn't make sense to me. That's why certain waters are designated as "trout water". If you fish in "trout water" then you need a trout stamp, regardless of what species you are fishing for.