Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Default New guy

In 818 days I will be retired and am thinking about moving to the Asheville area. At that point I plan on fishing, fishing, doing some volunteer work, and then, if I have time, I'll probably go fishing. I am a Smallmouth guy at heart, but will fish for anything that bites. I have been seriously flyfishing (i.e., leaving the spinning rod at home) for the last 3 years. I caught my first Steelhead (30") and my first Brown (18") in the last year.
I am getting pretty good at nypmphing and I am just getting into streamers for trout. In fact this past weekend i got Galloup's video on Streamers - I'd go out for the real thing, but it's 7 degrees today. But then again, isn't that why poly and fleece were invented?
So, what kind of fishing should I expect in the area? What species? What kind of prospects for stillwater fishing? Techniques? Flies? I hope to get down and do a guided trip in the spring to get a better idea of what's up. Any suggestions on guides? My local fly shop, Mad River Outfitters, may have a trip to Townsend, TN. Would this give me a good idea of what it's like on the other side of the mountains?
I have friends in Raleigh and fished the Neuse and Eno last fall. What a gorgeous pair of rivers. If you have questions about fishing in Ohio, just let me know - glad to be on board.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: New guy

The Asheville area is a good base for the area flyfishing. The best Smallmouth flyfishing I know of is just northwest at Hotsprings. You will need to float it with a guide or personal boat though. Laurel creek is a popular DH trout stream and so is the Davidson and *N. Mills *river outside of Brevard. There is a TU chapter over there but I don't know how active they are for volunteer work. There are a few Fly shops in the area. I like Lowes fly shop over in Waynesville. Roger is a good guy and a fantastic fly tier. You can be at the S.Holston or Watauga *in less than 2 hours and its probably less than 6 hours to the beaches.
I'm "only "9855 days till retirement .
Kind of depressing now that I think about it.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Welcome to the board! Can't help you much on NC but if you visit Towsend, you will have a good time!!!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM

Hey BuckeyeRick.....welcome aboard, I am also from Ohio and *have been using this board for a year and FF'ing the Townsend area for about 2.5 years. If you need a guide or info, get hold of Little River Outfitters....not only are they very good, they are extremely down to earth *and deal very well with either the novice or most experienced fisherman(woman).

I'm guessing you fish the Madd, I really need to fish it more considering that one of my work sites is in Urbana. I may have to make that a priority this year. If you have any questions that I may be able to help with don't hesitate to pm me or just post on the board and you will get many experienced answers. There is a ton of knowlegde on this site and some very willing folks to help out others.

congrats on your upcoming retirement, I have atleast 10 years to go....but I can dream [smiley=smiley.gif] of the day I can wake up and be only minutes from the GSMNP and some wonderful FF'ing..........

welcome aboard
buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 02-05-2007, 04:43 PM

Welcome BuckeyeRick,

Sounds like you will be doing alot of FF after retirement. Make sure you give us reports on your post retirement FF excursions. Not familiar with the Asheville area.
Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Welcome!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 PM

welcome to the gang
Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 AM

now I can't just call you "buckeye" because there's 2 of you. welcome to the board! For retirement, I would suggest that you also consider Maryville, TN. right by the mountains and I believe it ranks very high on lists of most liveable/best cities to retire in. asheville has a nice eclectic little downtown, but it's kind of like a mini san francisco in the east. but seriously, it's a beautiful place, and I'm sure you'll like it.