Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM

Default "Hello" and Trout Unlimited Support

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and fairly new to the sport. *I spent last week on vacation in the Smokies with my family (Wife, 2 sons (7 and 9) and a daughter (4)), and visited the shop a few times. *I have to say I fell in love with the place. *Everyone made us feel welcome and it was a nice place to go since the water was too cold for fishing. *My last visit was during the fly tying demonstrations, and it was very informative and cured some of my cabin fever. *Thanks for organizing such great events and for the great hospitality. *My trip back to north Georgia was not good after being in Townsend (I work near downtown Atlanta, and traffic is a nightmare !)

Anyway, I recently joined Trout Unlimited and chose the Little River Chapter as my preferred chapter. *My question is what kind of support I can provide given my location in North Georgia? *I noticed on the latest newsletter that help would be welcome, but I'm unsure as to what I can do to help while living so far away *. *Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I truly love the Smoky Mountains and want to support the local fishing and stream management in any way I can. *I'll be making several visits over the next few months (one to Troutfest!!)

Thanks again!

“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.” – Will Hunting (played by Matt Damon), Good Will Hunting
Old 02-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: "Hello" and Trout Unlimited Support

Hope to see you at the message board member cookout! Saturday evening of Troutfest...
Old 02-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Welcome aboard!!!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 AM

Welcome TFnut,

Other than your dollars at work, a long distance relationship is a tough one when trying to contribute. *You might contact your local chapter and have them add you to their mailing list. *This way you can volunteer at home and have the kids help out. *

See you at Troutfest and Cookout *

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-07-2007, 12:09 PM

TFnut,

Welcome to the board and thank you for the kind words about LRO. As a member of the Little River Chapter you will receive the newsletter and you can go to the site and read it. You can plan trips here to help with projects that the chapter is involved with in the GSMNP. Attending Troutfest is a good idea. While you are here you would enjoy the MB Members Cookout. I think there will be a stream cleanup in the Spring and probably at least one large stream electroshocking monitoring project that you could participate in. There are some small brook trout restoration projects that the Park Service may need volunteers for.

Thank you for joining both.

Byron
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM

TFnut,

Welcome to the board and thank you for the kind words about LRO. As a member of the Little River Chapter you will receive the newsletter and you can go to the site and read it. You can plan trips here to help with projects that the chapter is involved with in the GSMNP. Attending Troutfest is a good idea. While you are here you would enjoy the MB Members Cookout. I think there will be a stream cleanup in the Spring and probably at least one large stream electroshocking monitoring project that you could participate in. There are some small brook trout restoration projects that the Park Service may need volunteers for.

Thank you for joining both.

Byron
Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM

welcome to the board
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Thanks everyone,

Just as I suspected, the hospitality on this board is just as good as it was at the shop. I appreciate the ideas too. I will definitely make it to the cookout and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Another small question for Byron.... Will you eventually be uploading the fly tying materials to the online catalog? I enjoyed the selection at the shop and would prefer to support the local shops whenever I can. If they are already loaded, please forgive me and could you let me know where I can find them?

Thanks

“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.” – Will Hunting (played by Matt Damon), Good Will Hunting