Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-21-2007, 01:24 PM

Default white bass and Hybrid Bass

For years before I picked up a fly rod, my favorite spring time fishing was hybrids and white bass fishing in the West and East forks of the Stones river. Fished a floating rapala tied on top of the eye so it would run about 1' deep, and fished it with a jerk type of retrive.
Tried using a 5wt to throw big minnow streamers a couple of years ago, needless to say my casting skills were not up to the task and was in fear of breaking my Trident tls. I came upon a 7wt tls last week that i got for a decent price, so I am going to try again.
Any suggestions on how to minic the rapla action with a fly and what flies have woked for you-all. I love fishing the spring spawning run, just want to change to a fly rod.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: white bass and Hybrid Bass

Vern,

I would probably use a Puglisi Minnow, tied to look like a Threadfin Shad with a Magic Head on it. I would also trim the top off the Magic Head.

I think it was in the 70's that Percy Preist Lake froze over. All the Rockfish moved up into a creek that I think is called Spring Creek It runs into the Stones River at the headwaters of the lake. I remember a huge underwater cave and the warm water came from it. We wore them out on Rapalas. Caught them up to 20 pounds. That never happened again while I lived in Nashville. But keep that in your memory bank in case that lake ever freezes over.

Byron
Old 01-21-2007, 04:02 PM

Todd's Wiggle Minnow
Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Rusty, Good point! No, Excellent Point!

Byron
Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 PM

I know exactly where that spring comes out of the cave. I have caught a ton of fish about 50yr down from that cave. Used to be able to go up there in the late 80's and ware them out. Life happened boat got old and had a few costly repairs needed and Gainfish showed up about the same time. I went up there last year a few times. Too many bait fishermen sitting in the middle of the channel.
I have to tell on myself, put new steering cable and wheel on my 85 hydrosport, floated it off the trailer started it up and backed out. It seemed to handle a little strange, got up on plane going about 40 mph went to turn right the boat went left. If you have fished this river you know that it is so narrow that turning the wrong way can make you wet your pants. shut the boat down, used channel locks and one philips screw to pull the cable and put it the right side up. Putted back to the ramp and went home to change my pants.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:44 AM

It isn't a Rapala but I fish Priest for Hybrid Striper and Stripe every year and this fly produces plenty of Stripe during the spawning run. Fish it on a sinking line for best results.

This Chartreuse and White Clouser is another great fly for the water Zebras and Stripers.

This guy took that same Clouser.

The Hollow Fleyes are great when the fish are keyed in on larger shad. http://flyfisherman.com/northeast/ds...ye/index1.html

I'm glad to see some other FF out there looking for the Stripped bite.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:52 PM

Great pics, can't wait till spring. Thanks for info.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 AM

I've found for white bass and hybrids, that the flys don't have to be HUGE to catch 'em. I fish the steam plant discharge here in Harriman, Tn. with clousers in size 2-8. You can even tie them using blood maribou top and bottom as a sub for bucktail. My two best colors are chartruese over white with pearl flash, and yellow top/bottom with red flash sides.

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 01-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Mike A and AA, *Do you fish for White bass directly below the dams or do you also fish for them when they are on the shoals during springtime? I used to catch them on the French Broad and Holston using spin tackle and roostertails during April. I want to try for them this year with the flyrod.

P.S. What size are those Clousers? and do you use dumbell eyes or strickly fish a weighted line?
* * * * * * * * * * Troutman
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM

I fish everywhere for them Rivers, lakes, tailwaters, etc.

Most of my clousers for Striper are lead eyes and a sink tip. I tie mine on 1/0 or bigger.