Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Line color

Does the fly line color really matter, u got orange, green yellow, do u really need to have a certain color for the line? Is one better on water is one better with fish?, also why do they have different colors?

Thanks,
Giantfish
Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

I think that line color is a matter of personal preference. Some people say that certain colors spook fish less, but I believe if you lay your line over the fish, no matter what color it is, the line will spook the fish.

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 02-13-2007, 05:22 PM

I don't think it matters much for floating line, although I have olive colored lines on my reels. It does matter more for sinking line though...

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

I am not an expert,but i have had orange floating line before and have heard up in the mountains it spooks alot of fish.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:14 PM

I think the general rule of thumb for sinking lines is that it is generally best to choose a line that is darker in color, such as brown, as fish are less likely to see the darker color as opposed to a bight one. I don't believe that the color of floating lines matters much as they are all silhouetted against the sky,thus fish can see them and they cast a shadow over the fish. This is all the more reason to keep as much of the flyline off the water as possible and away from the trouts vision!

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 PM

I'll let you guys know if I can tell a difference because both reels that I have had were both spooled with bright green line. I just switched out the line on my main reel to the darker olive green color, so if I start catching double the number that I usually do....then we might be on to something.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM

I spent a few days in Wyoming a number of years ago with a fellow who was using clear line while I was using an olive colored line. We both were catching the same amount of fish throughout the day. My opinion of line color is that the beginner needs a very visible color to aid in line control. Once better skills are developed, I would recommend a less visible line in case fish can see it. Of course, there is the debate of what type of water you are fishing, tailwater or mountains and what to use where. I'm still waiting for that talking fish who is willing to share all the answers to my questions. If you are catching a good amount of fish, why spend time worrying about it is what I operate by.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 PM

If the fish is seeing your floating line, instead of 6 inches of tippet and your fly, you iz doin' it wrong! They should never get a look at your line. The line is colored brightly so you can look at it, not the little fishies. I wonder if I'm the only one that has a favorite line color....I'm a sucker for chartruse! however you spell it.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:05 PM

Agreed if you are placing your line in the area of the fish....not so good. However remember that fish basically see (if i remember), an inverted triangle. So the deeper the fish, the more area it can see. Just remember, hunters and road workers wear orange and chartueuse for a reason.

I like gray or olive for floating, darker for sinking.

Flat Fly'n
Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 AM

I'll typically use a lighter color line in the mountains, the older i get, the harder it is to keep track of the darker lines in all the shade & canopy. I agree with the other's, your fly/leader should be the first thing presened to any water you fish, once satisfied that i have fished that area to the best of my ability, i'll let the line cover it as i extend my range.
This maybe arguable, i believe fish in the small freestone streams will hold to cover more than a tailwater, so i fish the likely holding areas thourghly before i let the line cover it.
On the tailwaters, i believe a fish will move more frequently from a holding or cover area, there will be more fish per feet of water, so i like to use a more subtle colr line. However, i still try to let the fly/leader cover the likely holding areas before the fly line ever covers it.
I manage to trick a few each trip, i'm happy.

Grumpy