Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-18-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Fly prices...

I've noticed over the last couple of years that fly prices seem to have moderated and held now( or decreased) since 2001-2002 or so. It's not something I'm complaining about, that's for sure - but I started to wonder if most flyfishers feel that participation in our sport has also leveled off, since the big surge in the 90's after the movie. I can remember seeing fly prices over $2.00 for standard dries not that many years ago, but I noticed that LRO has their dries at $1.65 which is way more than reasonable for the quality of flies they carry.

Is there a market saturation or less demand, or have the sources simply moderated their costs/pricing to the shops?

Or is it something altogether different - or heck, am I just not paying attention?!
Old 02-18-2007, 04:15 PM

competition from overseas.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Yep, lots of competition! You can still find alot of fly prices at or above $2.65 per fly depending on what you are looking for. All the more reason to fly shop at LRO...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 PM

There have always been fly sources overseas, I think. Do you think there are more overseas suppliers now than 5 years ago, then? just wondering...

like I was saying, I'm not gonna pray for higher prices...just wondering if the whole sport isn't leveling off, with fly prices being an early canary in the coal mine thing. But then, I often think more in quantity than quality, unfortunetly.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:45 PM

True, there has been overseas suppliers for a while but there are more of them now than ever. The cost overseas is extremely low and young children are very fast and efficient in tying these. I'm not trying to start any political or moral argument at all just stating the facts. I buy flies from LRO, I also buy from mailorder firms. I don't tie anymore but might pick it up in the future. I know from experience that almost all flies sold nowadays from the main distributors are tied in low cost countries. This is just the nature of things nowadays. Rainy's Umpqua, Orvis , etc imports from Kenya, Tanzania, Sri-Lanka, China, etc. Do a google search on wholesale fly's and you'll get hits.

I try to buy american and secondly goods from other western nations. I really try hard if the price and quality is just about equal. Other times I don't have an option that is viable for me, then I have to go with the low cost import. I have noticed a real qualilty upgrade in chinese products lately, this is really going to put the nail in the coffin on a lot of high priced western made goods. I grew up in Sweden in the sixties and seventies when Sweden was able to produce just about everything. Now, you are hard pressed to find any manufacturing of consumer goods. I used to be bitter about it but realized that you can't change the course of development. I give China about another decade or so and then they will raise their prices and wages and the whole business of consumer goods manufacturing will move somewhere else. Capital and profit always moves it is never static. Enough of my rantings and LET'S GO FISHING. WHO IS UP FOR THE HIWASSEE ON SATURDAY MARCH 3?