Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Daylight Savings Time

I wrote about this today in the Fishing Report. I got a letter from our computer software folks that informed me Daylight Saving Time will be extended by 4 weeks this year. Maybe I misunderstood. I haven't checked into it further but it was news to me. The way I look at it, that means my fishing time after work will be reduced by one hour for four weeks. This idea is credited to the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (Public Law 109-5. Maybe this will save energy. After all, if I fish one less hour per day, I'll have more energy to sit at home and burn energy.

Byron
Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM

After further investigation, it appears now that Daylight Savings Time will be moved to start earlier in the Spring. That changes my whole attitude, OK now we get an extra hour of fishing for 4 weeks. Yea!

Byron
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM

From an excerpt I read:

Changes in 2007

The United States has planned a change to its DST observance beginning in 2007. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 mandates that DST will start on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November. In 2007, the start and stop dates will be March 11 and November 4, respectively. These dates are different from previous DST start and stop dates. In 2006, the dates were the first Sunday in April (April 2, 2006) and the last Sunday in October (October 29, 2006).

Daylight Saving Time (DST) is a system of handling the changing amounts of daylight throughout the year. The goal of DST is to maximize the daylight hours available during typical waking hours. By adjusting clocks ahead a standard amount, usually an hour, people can have more daylight available during their typical work day. For example, suppose you wake daily at 7:00 AM. In the spring, the sun rises earlier each day. Instead of waking up at 6:00 AM to take advantage of the daylight, DST observers move their clocks ahead an hour. The effect is that they can continue to wake at 7:00 AM according to the clock and enjoy more daylight. In the fall, people set their clocks back an hour as sunrise happens later each day.

They need to change the wordage to: Typical "Fly Fishing Day!!" Who wants to work when there's fishing to do?

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-20-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Daylight Saving time

Byron,

I once heard DST compared to the cowboy who cut one end off his blanket and sewed it on the other to make his blanket longer. All jokes aside, here in Indiana the legislature has haggled over changing to DST for years. Two years ago it was finally voted to make the change and almost everyone I know was thrilled last year when we made the change. Anything that gives me more useful (fishing time) daylight trips my trigger! Bring on spring!

Regards, gary <*))))><
Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Byron, just so you're clear on this...

Yes, you get a total of 28 additional hours of fishing. HOWEVER...

You get only 21 of those hours in the Spring since the start of DST moved up into March, and 7 of those hours in the Fall when DST ends one week later.

So the really good news is that those 21 additional hours in the Spring will be available in evening when the Spring hatches are most prolific. Yeah, it'll be a bit darker when you get up with the dogs, and just getting a bit lighter when you drive up into the park to check out the water, and you're gonna wonder why you're having a harder time seeing the cows, but at 6 pm when you're standing knee deep in 48 degree water, it'll all make sense.

By the time the Fall setback arrives, will anybody really care? We'll all be scrapping to get every available minute of sunlight...

Gerry
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 PM

this is really great. right now, I feel like I live my whole life in darkness. I wake up, go to an office, then school. by the time I get home it's dark. my bedroom has no windows. I'm dying. One thing I did that I'd highly recommend if you don't have large windows with natural light in your bedroom is: I bought a compact flourescent "daylight" bulb at walmart. it's like $7. I put it in my standing floor lamp and plugged the whole rig into a small little timer. I have it set to come on about 30 minutes before I wake up. when the alarm goes off and I open my eyes, I'm telling you I still think " mmm it's sunny today" this thing replicates natural morning light so well that it tricks me everytime. the difference in the way I feel when I wake up in the morning is undeniable. it's like, well, night and day.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 AM

Yep, light therapy is the new rage. Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD) is treated with light therapy. Basically folks get more depressed during the fall and winter due to less avaliable light. So, they plug in and its "sad" to "glad".
Maybe thats why women like to lay out so much, they need the light therapy to put up with us and our never ending fishing quests. Of course some women like it as much as we do. Are you out there Smiling Dog?

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)