Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Holston

Hey, I think I may have a slight case of this cabin fever ya'll speak of. A guy I work with lives out by the Holston and tells me he has some spots, and has been catching fish the last couple of weekends. He spinfishes with rooster tails, but I am really itching to get my new (fly) gear wet. I don't want to wait on the weather anymore. Any suggestions on flies to try? Tips on staying warm...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Holston

Patillac,

I haven't fished the Holston in quite a while but if I were to go this weekend I'd probably fish it like the Clinch. All sorts of midges and some small streamers. I don't see you going wrong with any of that. I would even try a few cased caddis imitations.

Hugh Hartsell will probably have some information for you.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM

One more thing, I am really new to flyfishing, so I have no clue how to even fish a midge or a streamer. The guy I'm going with dosen't either.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Patillac, I wish that I could give you some up to date info, but it has been so cold and windy that I have not been on the river in at least two weeks. I think with the weather being as cold as it has been that you will probably have to use the basics when you start. Just a simple strike indicator and something like a very small Beadhead Pheasantail Nymph about 24-30 in. below it;cast upstream or up and across and allowed to dead drift back down below you. Your biggest task in front of you is learning to handle that flyrod and until you get that in control, only the most basic task will be in order. If you can find a set of shoals such as the ones at Nances Ferry that are wide open, you can practice your casting techniques and at least get the feel of handling your flyrod. Start with short cast and when you fell like you have that pretty much in hand, then begin to make some slightly longer ones. Take your time and watch the loop that your flyline makes as you false cast. If it is dipping down as it goes behind you or in front of you, then your being a little too fast with your stroke or allowing your wrist to bend too much. Either of these actions will cause the flexing of the rod to not give it's full effect. It's easy to tell because your flyline will slap the water in front or behind. THIS TIMING THING IS MUCH EASIER TO CORRECT IF YOU JUST START OFF WITH SHORT CAST. When your timing is right, the loop in your flyline will become tighter and the cast will be longer and smoother. This takes a while to smooth out. If you will practice this for a awhile, it will give the air time to warm up some and maybe some insects will start hatching. Look for small black or creme colored midge type flies buzzing around on the water. If you get lucky, you may see some larger tan looking flies skittering around and flying off to parts unknown. That will be Caddis flies and you'll sure see some trout activity if this happens. I hope that someone on the board is going your way tomorrow that can help you get started. Good luck and let us know how you did.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:52 PM

RFowler, boy were you right! Maybe after a few trips to the Holston, I can fish the Clinch like I fish the Holston.?

Hugh,

I had to read that like 3 times to take it all in. Lots of good information, that's exactly what I need. I went to LRO today and got my beadhead pheasant tails and a few tan elk hair caddis' along with some strike indicators (fancy name for bobber huh?) and a few other knick-knacks. I'm gonna spend tommorow trying to get some good loops going and head to the river after work on Monday (I'm convienently working right on Cherokee Lake). Right now the TVA website says 0 generators from midnight to 1am, whatever that means, so hopefully no water will be released on Monday. Anyhow, thanks for steering me in the right direction and I'll let you know how we do, especially if I catch a trout and my buddy dosen't.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patillac View Post
Right now the TVA website says 0 generators from midnight to 1am, whatever that means, so hopefully no water will be released on Monday.
patillac,

It means just as it says. No generation from midnight to 1AM. I usually look at the average daily outflow information located at the bottom of the page. The average for Saturday and Sunday are showing 300cfs. This average spans 24 hours. 300cfs is most likely base flow for the Holston so TVA will probably be pulsing. If the predicted average is a higher number, lets say, 1500, then TVA will be generating for a bit somewhere within that 24 hour span. Keep in mind that the weather can change these predicted flows but they're pretty accurate for the most part. The predicted flow for Monday will be posted tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Exclamation Caution!

Patillac - be cautious when fishing below TVA and Corps of Eng operated reservoirs. Normally you can count on the published release schedules, but be aware that changes in local as well as upstream weather / precip conditions influence short-term release decisions.

My advice for fishing a TVA tailwater is to check generating schedules before you leave home, mark a spot on an object such as a tree or rock, and check it every 3-4 minutes while you're fishing to see if the water is rising. 98% of the time this will not be necessary, but it's the 2% that will get you in trouble - couple of personal scary tales from the Holston and Clinch to support this!!

Last edited by psnapp; 02-23-2007 at 09:51 PM..