Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 PM

Default This weekend.....

Well, I have this weekend to go fishing( providing I can get out of work on Sat.), and I was planning on heading up to the Nantahala for some DH fishing. There were some good reports from there, even though it was fished pretty heavy from a group outing last weekend.
Anyhoot, after reading Byron's stream report page all week, the closer we get to the weekend, the closer I get to heading up to the LR and stopping by the shop to buy some 'quills. ( Maybe that's the idea, eh? LOL )
Anyhoot, is anyone else thinking that the fishing is going to be good this weekend if the weather holds? If I was an hour from Townsend, I'd chance it no problemo - but it would take me an extra hour beyond the 2 it takes me to get to the Nantahala....so I'd like other local fishers opinions on the chances of a good day in the park on Saturday - not that I don't trust Byron!He's going to get some money from me when I get up there anyway - but I'd sure hate to ride all the way over there and have to track him down and whop him with a print out of his fishin' reports!!!

Anyway, I hope this is taken the right way. I'm just trying to decide where to go. I'm really late in taking my first fishing trip of the year, and I'd sure like to catch some fish.

Thanks,
flkr

Last edited by fishlicker; 02-21-2007 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: spEEling....arrrrgh.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Default alrighty then....

looks like it's going to rain on Sunday anyway - so I guess the nantahala on Sat. then and Abrams and the LR next time.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 PM

You said anyhoot 2 times in one post. You can't do that.

I'd not risk the drive over here for fishing. The water will probably be too cold still.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Soooorrrry.................old habit. I used to be an owl. 30% now on Sunday.....decisions, decisions...

I'm just surprised more folks didn't tell me to stay away - I mean, considering I'm one of the foremost experts at catching rocks, branches and every stray clump of riverbank grass within 2 miles of wherever I'm fishin'.

If you see a black wrangler on the LR, honk at me or stop and say hi. I'm about 50/50 on which side of the smokies to hang out on this weekend, now.

( btw - two replies to my own post(sort of) - is that allowed? )
Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 PM

actually fishlicker I might be going against my own advice and fishing in the SMokies this weekend. It just might be warm enough to turn them on. I'll have to defer to Byron's reports though. Plus its also the last weekend for grouse hunting and I don't know if my dog will allow us to miss it for fishing! He's pretty demanding you know.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Not to be a pessimist but the water will still be a bit cold this weekend...the NWS is forecasting the temps to drop into the mid and upper 20's at higher elevations both tonight and tomorrow night. If the forecast rain is warm Saturday night and if there isn't too much, Sunday might be good but that's a lot of ifs....
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-22-2007, 11:21 PM

...which is probably why I'll find myself trying to tempt the holdover DH stockers on the Nan. If it's cloudy and warm, there's always a chance for a BWO hatch( #22's usually) on the Nan. And if there's no BWO's....well, there's always that DH standard, the egg - which beats fishing with something they aren't hitting any day.

Good luck with the grouse thing - you know what they say - if the doggie ain't happy ain't nobody....

wait.

nevermind. lol
Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 AM

I will be on the Nan Saturday. I haven't been on the water since early November and my wife in "encouraging" me to go fishing. I must need it... Anyway, I'll be in a dirty black Toyota T100 with LRO license plate frame.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:44 PM

I'll keep an eye out for you, Dancin' bear. If you see a lady reading a book that's gonna be mrs. fishlicker - and I'm sure to be somewhere near....not that I'm any real treat.