Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM

I'd drink straight from the creek if I were about 3 hours more desperate than we were, but not otherwise....it's not that there wasn't water to drink - it was that I'd had a go-round with bad water before and it'll make you think twice about trusting some new fangled purifier thingy that uses UV light. . . or at least, it did me. I once saw a group of yankees drinking from a little creek in the park. We'd seen a bear not far from there and boars had been digging around not 30 yards from the stream. I started to tell them not to do that, but Dad's shirt was already wet down the front and the kids too. I probably should have told them anyway, but I figured if they had a run in with ole crypto or Mr. G they'd know soon enough....

but I still regret not saying something.

anyway.....i was just tryin' to give ya'll some humor at my expense.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 PM

The guy with the idea to throw rocks was not far off. The following is the honest truth, has worked on smallmouth and redeyes imagine it would work on trout.

When I was a young teenager, my best friend's dad would take us camping along a freestone creek near Chattanooga that had smallmouth etc. in it. He taught us that when you spook a pool the fish are usually hanging tight hiding under rocks with overhangs / crevices etc all hunkered down. If you swim down in the pool (I was young remember) with a large rock (about the size of a softball) you could bang it on likely looking rocks really hard and the concussion would stun any fish that were hiding out underneath the overhang / in the crevice etc. and they'd float up and you could grab them. Sometimes it would be a smallmouth, a redeye, a sculpin or some of the minnows (horny heads). Honest to goodness truth it works.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM

That is cool, but standing on the ground and do it, you need extreme aim. As for the water, I know a way to check and see if the water is safe, if desperate, look at the stream, if it is clear (very clear) and flowing very well, also if you can see the bottom well, it is good. If your just wanting water pour it through a sock (a clean one! or stinky water!) You could also hope it rains and collect rain water.

Giantfish
Old 02-24-2007, 12:00 AM

Giantfish, do some more research on safe drinking water.

Look up giardia and cryptosporidium...

Trust me, you can't tell by looking at a creek( clear or muddy) if it's infested with little parasites( nasty!), and other micro-organisms that can really make you sick. And when I say sick, i mean really, really, really sick.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:59 AM

If I couldn't find a cane break, I would find a large persimmon tree. From that I would cut a rod. I would take mussel shells and drill holes in the center, then using the fiber from a cedar tree, I would attach them to the rod as guides. A little pine sap would serve to secure the thread.

I would weave a fly line from stripped honeysuckle vines, and make a leader from spinning the same cedar fibers that I used on the rod guides. A simple reel could be made from any properly sized stick, but well tumbled peagravel and be used as effective ball beariings if that is so desired.

Once I was fed, I would weave a rope from grapevines and lasso a large deer, or better still, an elk, and ride him back to the car. If this didn't work, there is a way you can make a functional motorcycle using only fir boughs and creek muck, but that is for another day.

Either that or I would bundle up up for the night, skip supper, hike out in the morning and go to Shoneys for the breakfast buffet.