Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-21-2007, 01:57 AM

Default fly tying books

anyone own "essential trout flies" by dave hughes? someone recommended it to me. I've read a few excerpts online and it looks pretty good. any other recommendations?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM

I have both Essential Trout Flies and Trout Flies by Dave Hughes. ETF is good, but I think that Trout Flies is one of the best tying books for trout flies done in the last ten years or so. As in ETF, Dave provides tying instruction for a pattern and then provides numerous variations on the pattern. I think that you can pick it up on-line for about half of the original price.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Dave Hughes

I pretty much like anything Dave writes. Really enjoyed his "Trout From Small Streams" which is not a tying book but of course talks about flies and how he uses 'em.

sb
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM

thanks for the responses guys. I'm definitely going to get one of those books. just can't decide if I should invest more money and buy "trout flies". I also plan on getting his "trout from small streams". I read a few excerts of it online and like what I read.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Other books

Couple more books I like a lot are "Good Flies" by John Gierach and "Tying Small Flies" by Ed Engle. Actually, every word Gierach has written, but this thread is about tying books.

sb
Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 AM

I first read "Good Flies" last year before I started tying. I just re-read it this week. It was pretty neat to go over a lot of the material I didn't really understand last year and see a glimmer of what he was talking about.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 AM

ttas67,
I own ETF, and it's a very good book. I basically learned to tie from it. It is sufficient for almost any flie you will need, BUT you will later find yourself wishing you had bought the bigger book. My brother purchased Trout Flies later, and I find myself wishing I had it at my desk. I reference his version a lot, and will end up buying my own copy at some point. ETF is a truncated version of Trout Flies. It uses the same format, but only gives photographic instruction for one of each major category of fly and gives you recipes for a few others of the same style. Take care,

hawgdaddy