Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Fishing Sunday 25th

I'd be interested to see who fished in the Park today and how you did. I noticed a few minutes ago the the water temperature is near 48 degrees at the "Y". Please respond. Thanks,

Byron
Old 02-25-2007, 06:10 PM

Byron,

I fished today on the middle prong and came up empty. I tried everything. Dry, dry/dropper, and double nymph on the bottom. Ran into one angler who said he caught two on a quill gordon. Its coming, but its not here yet...

Kevin
Old 02-25-2007, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I was sitting at home, occasionally checking on the water temp thru the website. At about 12:30 I noticed that the noon reading went above 46 degrees and announced that IT WAS TIME TO GO FISHIN'! My wife said , "Well you better get your butt in gear cause it's not gonna be light all day..." honestly, that's what she said! Well, I'm no fool. I know it's gonna be light out at least until dark... maybe later...

I threw my gear in the truck and headed out. Thought about going East up the main branch - thinking that most of it had full sun all day and would likely be pretty warm - but the Middle Prong beckoned.

Not a good decision. Got skunked, gave up a ton of nymphs to the streambed and even busted up my brand new furled leader.

But as I hiked my way out I stopped to shoot a few pics of one of the most beautiful streams in the Smokies!

Gerry
Old 02-25-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redc4man View Post

I fished today on the middle prong and came up empty.
I bet if you were fishing on Lynn Camp it would have been a different story! As much time as you spent on that stream those fish wouldn't have had a chance?

* Think your going to have Lynn Camp withdrawl?

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 02-25-2007, 11:53 PM

I was going to Lynn Camp...lol The gate was closed at the institute. We fished from there to just shy of the first one lane bridge. If that gate had been open...

I will miss Lynn Camp. Pretty torn over the whole deal. I love Brookies, but the Bows on Lynn Camp satisfy me pretty well. I'm sure it will be fun catching Brookies up there in the future, but I fear the crowds will be huge for such easy access to those jewels. Oh well, I guess I'm looking forward to it...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:45 AM

Well, I feel a little better about being skunked, not only today, but on Friday and Saturday as well...I'll post a report on the three days in toto in a minute, but as for today, I tried the Middle Prong as well; I couldn't fish long, because we had to head back to Louisiana, and I didn't even bother to pull on the waders. The closest I came to any fish was a few minnows I saw next to a tree root - I couldn't identify them - perhaps young 'bows from last year? I tried several different bh/split shot combos, dredging the bottom as deeply as I could - no dice.

I saw a bunch of stoneflies over the three days, and a few (I think) mayflies...spring is close, y'all - just not close enough this weekend.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Sunday Fishing

I wasn't fishing in the park, I was on Snowbird. It was blowin and goin and I got skunked as well. The creek was running at least a foot higher than last weekend and the rain gauge showed 2.5" of rain overnight. I did see a couple of big otters and I think a mink! I should have moved far from the otters when I saw them. I tend to think the put the trout on high alert and under anything they can find. They are fun to watch though, they seem so playful. I bet these were 30-40 lb animals!
Snowbird is closed until the 7 of April, so the fisheries folks can dump in a bunch of dumb stockers.
Best,
John
Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Gerry

where are these pictures??
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Still tryin to figure out how to get 'em into photobucket so I can get 'em to Byron. Got one nice vertical shot that makes you feel like you're out west at sunup.

Gerry
Old 02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Gerry,

If you need help with photobucket, give be a call...I am a semi-expert!

I am sure I can talk you through it...or pm me and I will give you direction. As a matter of fact, I may write up directions and put them in FAQ.

Paula