Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-26-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Flies for the Nantahala?

I'm fishing the Nantahala for the first time in two weeks. Any suggestions on what flies I should be working on would be much appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to fishing this beautiful river!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 AM

pwilson,

I am surpised at the lack of response. I will attempt to help out. Rubber leg prince 12, San Juan worm-pink, BHPT 16, copper john 14/16-green and red,
wooley bugger 10-olive or black. As far as dry flies, Adams and Elk Hair Caddis. I don't dry fly fish that often. Hope htis helps.

NKY
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Actually, by the time you get there, the river will have just been stocked with a fresh batch of trout. t he most productive pattern for me in that scenario is a light pink, or bright pink( your choice, the fish really don't care much) egg fly. Bright streamers and light colored buggers( white, yellow chartruse) also work well, esp. if they have some flash in them. if there are hatches of bwo's there will be some surface feeding on them, but the trout usually don't figure out that the bugs are "food" until they've been in the river a little longer. The river is stocked at the bridges, and that's where most of the fish will be - and most of the anglers, BUT there are a few places I know of that aren't at bridges where they stock regularly. email me at fishlicker@gmail.com and I'll share those spots with you.....I remember the first time a nice person took me to the Nantahala...it was love at first site, and it's become my home water in the winter. In the spring, the fishing is actually better to me though - because the bugs hatch and the fish spread out and learn to act more like "real trout." Instead of dragging a bright pink egg across the bottom of the river, you can fish a #18 caddis or #22 bwo and fool them on top...which is my favorite way to catch them! But, alas, I'm usually fishing wild water by this time of year more often than not. . . but the fishing on the Nan is great right up to June, when the DH ends. Oh, and the main river downstream has a good population of wild bows along with the hatchery supported stockings. You just gotta try not to get run over by out of control rafters!

Oh, and btw - if you get there and there are cars in every parking spot, don't let it worry you - there's so much water there, there can be 3 cars in every pull off and you can still find good water to fish!
Old 03-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help. I will spend the week working on those patterns. I'll let you know how it goes!