Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-02-2007, 01:49 AM

I was born and raised here. I've always liked it. I used to believe I just liked east tennessee because it's where i'm from, but I'm starting to realize that it's more like what someone previously quoted, I just happened to be born where I belong. a few years ago I got it in my head that I wanted to move somewhere else for a little while. I wasn't really that serious about it. I can't even remember where it was, but I was just casually talking about it with my mother, how cool it would be to live there. my mother, who's lived in california, ohio, wyoming and puerto rico, actually started crying and went into this long talk about how this was such a wonderful place and that I didn't understand that and one day I would. well I did. over the past years I've had the chance to visit many areas of the country. I love traveling and have been to some really great places, but each time I come back and see good ole east tennessee with a different set of eyes. the more places I visit, even places that I find beautiful or interesting, the more I realize that I want to live right here. I'm young, and maybe one day I'll move off somewhere, who knows? whatever happens, please bury me in the hills of tennessee
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 AM

To All,

Looks like I have a few brothers and sisters living around this great country that are looking to go "home" for a family reunion soon. I wish I could make it down for the cookout but won't likely be able to make it.

ijsouth, I do the exact same thing in the rear view mirror as we drive down 441 toward I-40. I want those mountains to be the last thing I see and once we get on I-40 I won't look that way again. I also find myself singing "Rocky Top" once I get to Knoxville on the trip down from Indiana. Crazy? I don't think so!

God bless America and Amen to all you all wrote, g <*))))><
Old 03-02-2007, 12:08 PM

Hello, my name is fishlicker and I'm crazy too. I have sung Rocky Top on more than one occasion( always when I'm alone though. ), and I almost always change the tunes to bluegrass as soon as I see mountains on the horizon...ususally something by Rhonda or Allison.

This weekend I am coming up, if I don't have to work. I can't stand it anymore. I just can't. I have to come up there. I'm going to try and bribe someone for Sat. off.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Default smokey mountain breakdown

I live on a farm --Red Lick Creek flows through my farm--this is home--I buried my parents not far from my farm--This place,this farm is home and coming back to it,always brings on that "you are home" feeling.Since 1973 I have fly fished the Smoky's.when I am not there,I long for the streams,and the park's presence,,,When i am fishing and cooling it in the park's waters,I think about home and my business and the things I should do to be a little better,for my kids and grandkids--that is what the Park does--Wet a line--cast a fly or two---and,what every you do,keep that line tight---
Old 03-03-2007, 07:35 AM

I've been thinking about what to say about this topic since yesterday. It could turn into a book but I'll try to keep it short. We, my wife and I, both feel like wanderers trying to get "back home". We both were born and grew up within 10 miles of where we live here in GA. Our families took us to the Smokies when we were kids and like others that have posted, the mountains got a hold on us that won't let go. I'm 51 now and I still remember those trips. My mom has a black and white photo of my dad and me playing in the Little River behind Dock's Motel when I was 6 or 7 years old. We rediscovered Dock's several years back and we stay there often.I started backpacking in the park in the mid 70's and found a whole different world "back of beyond". I believe it literally saved my life. That is another long story. No matter where we get to go there is no place like the Smoky Mountains. It is home to us. Whether we are standing in a creek or on top of state line ridge,it is a sanctuary to us and one of the most beautiful churches we've ever attended. We can't wait to get back.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:19 AM

I really don't think that I could live anywhere else in the world except East Tennessee. I know this because even though I may leave to visit somewhere else- no matter how beautiful or interesting it may be I feel a sense of peace & reconnection once I see the silhouette of the mountains upon returning. I have lived here all of my life, but spent all of my summers as a kid on the tidal rivers of the Georgia coast. I spent every summer there learning to fish, throwing cast nets for shrimp, baiting crab traps, and many other things that gave me an appreciation for the outdoors at an early age. But even with the indescribable beauty and the wonderful memories I had, I also remember coming home from a couple of months at "camp" with my grandparents. It would always start just north of Atlanta, through Dalton, & finally when I could see the Smokies I knew I was home. Now that same feeling hits whenever I drive through Townsend, Tellico Plains, or whatever town is my last view of the "real world." As I start heading up into the mountains, I breathe easier, my mind clears, and I relax- knowing without a doubt that I am home.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:17 PM

I had some awesome parents who taught me their love for the Smokies. I got to spend every birthday from the age of 2 - 26 while camping in Elkmont. Wasnt the only time we went but we were always there for a couple of weeks in July. I learned alot while fishing, wading, swimming, & throwing rocks in "my" Little River. I have three young ones now & while I havent been able to camp with them yet I love to take them to the Mountains. Anyone who has been able to spend a day inside the park has been blessed.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Home Is where the heart Is !

Tuckaleechee Climntine was my great great grandmother. Fighting Billy Tipton was my great great great grandfather. Yes, these people were some of the first settlers of Cades Cove. My mother left the cove in the late 20's when the park took over.
This is not only Home; but this is my deep ROOTS!
You talk about an ole country boy being Blessed; I AM! Every time I wet a line or walk pass a grave of one of my loveones who's buried in the cove , I have to stop and say thank you Lord for letting me be born in such a wonderful place.
So I'll close by saying; YOU'RE WELCOME AT MY HOME! Just one thing I ask you do! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE YOUR BOTTLES, CANS, DIPERS,AND TRASH ALONG THESE BEAUTIFUL STREAMS; BECAUSE THIS IS MY HOME:
slickrock
Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 PM

I grew up in the mountains on the North Carolina side and moved to Missourt (misery to me). I couldn't wait to get back to the mountains. When I ot the opportunity to move to Knoxville, I swore to myself I would never leave unless it was in a box or an urn. I love the mountains.