Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Nantahala Delayed Harvest

Has anyone been over to the DH section of the Nantahala recently. Wanting to drive over Sunday. It looks like they may have gotten a lot of rain over there,can't tell for sure.

mstone
Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Nantahala

If we don't get any more rain, the water will be clear by Sunday no doubt.
Tight lines,
John
Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 PM

As much as I hate to admit it on a board full of wild fish chasers( of which I am also ) the Nan is my home water in winter. The fish are there, and it usually clears up well after a rain - usually the next day if it's not too bad. Now, that's been in years past....but let me tell you about two weeks ago - or theree - here's what happened....

My wife and I heade up there after I got off work sAturday. It was supposed to rain some sat night, and it did - in Andrews. There was little more than a few sprinkles overnight - and since I didn't get to do very much fishing Saturday because we got up there pretty late, I decided we would fish Sunday before heading home too. We ended up in Robbinsville somehow, and ate lunch( before fishing - with the wife with me we get a late start )

Anyway, it hadn't rained much and we were deciding on whether or not to go to Joyce Kilmer or back to the Nan to fish. there weren't many fish in there three weeks ago, so that made the decision harder for me. But of course, fishing won out and we turned back toward the Nan. Well, I'm not sure why, but when we got there it looked as if they were spilling water over the dam or something. ( Later, as we rode around the lake, it was clear that wasn't the case) white Oak Creek always gets muddy after a really good, long rain - but there's no way that the amount of rain we got in Andrews caused it to be pure milkshake. So, either it rained hard just north of the dh and white oak, OR the hatchery that's up the road decided it would be a good time to clean out a few raceways( been there, done that - day ruined as the river turned to mud)

Anyway, all that long-winded blabber to say that, traditionally it should be clear by Sunday, but I'd be armed with flashy streamers, bright colored eggs and flies and maybe a single-hook rooster tail .....just in case.

I might be up on Sunday myself, if nothing else just to get out of the house for a while. Good luck! I hear it's slam full of fish right now. Get em while they're hot! lol
Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up Nantahala

Thanks for the reply! It will make a big difference where the most rain fell up there. Checking the color graph on rainfall totals in Cherokee county, it looks as though they may have gotten around two inches?? We'll see how it fishes.

mstone
Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 AM

accuweather though - says they only got a trace. maybe I'm too late though. should be good fishing, although now it looks like i'm not going to get to go at all. oh well.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 AM

The upper Nanty is a little high, but not muddy at all. I wouldnt expect too much for fishing with the air temps as cold as they are tonight. I wouldnt worry baout getting there early, it probably wont fish good until about 11:00am when the sun starts warming it up a bit.

Forget the flashy streamers and go for small Black Buggers, trust me!!
And bring some Caddis larvae and emergers with you, the Grannoms were out in force last weekend.
I Czech Nymphed it and did very well.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:50 AM

T.E., I hate to tell you this, but I am sure that there are no small black buggers in my river. Just the thought of it gives me the creeps. The very idea. Those are only found in lowland rivers with good populations of carp, dace and tarpon...like the Little River at the Y, where Byron has caught many a tarpon or swordfish or some such. And I'm sure it was during a hatch of black buggers. But there are none on the NC side at all, I promise you. If we ever do see one, we catch it in our hats, pack it in a mason jar and send it right back over there to TN where it came from, and without as much as a bite to eat at that! black buggers! Pfftt!