Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-29-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Florida Fly fishing trip

I am going to Orlando this summer and I want to take a guided Largemouth Bass flyfishing trip. I have looked on-line at some of the local guide websites, but would like some references or referrals. I am taking my kayak to fish one lake on the resort grounds "hopefully the gators won't mind!" but would appreciate any ideas.
* * * * * * * * * * * *Troutman
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Florida Fly fishing trip

Hey Troutman,

I will be in Orlando this year also but in Oct or Nov doing the family "Disney" thing. *I'm going to get a guide for the day for some salt Fly Fishing. *Let us know what you find out for future reference. I like fly fishing for bass from my float tube!

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 PM

Troutman,

I'd be tempted to drive over to Titusville and fish the Indian River/Misquito Lagoon for redfish. I don't know much about the bass fishing down there. I fished the St. Johns back in the 70's but that's it. Can't remember much about it.

Byron
Old 01-31-2007, 02:46 PM

I sent an e-mail to a guide I used in Montana. He moves to Titusville during the winter and works as a sub. teacher and Redfish guide until school is out. He didn't know anyone in the Orlando area that guides flyfishing bass trips * He did say that he had fished the "Stick Marsh" with a guide but he would only fish with shiners. I will keep looking and maybe email some of the FF shops. I would think there would be a good market down there for trophy bass flyfishing but being so near the salt, there doesn't seem to be.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Troutman
Old 01-31-2007, 03:09 PM

Hey Troutman,

Just out of curiosity I did a google on orlando bass fly fishing and came up with several hits. *I very briefly looked at a couple and it seems that they do indeed cater to the fly fisherman with live and artificial baits. * I don't see any reason why you couldn't use some of your favorites. *I like the frog poppers!

*Mark...
Looks like they even guide for peacock bass!!

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM

I did more research today(kind of slow at work), and talked to a guide on the phone in Orlando that guides Bass trips. He said that the Bass are spawning right now and the best time to fly fish for them is in March and April. I won't be there until June. He said he would take me if I really wanted too but most of the bass that hit a fly are in the 2-4pd range. The big ones (8-10+pd) want the live shiners.
I guess thats why most of the FF guides stick with the redfish and other salt varieties. There are alot of guides that guide the bass lakes but they are using live bait or large plugs and heavy casting rods.

I guess I will just bass fish the onsite lake where I'm staying and maybe take a day and go over to Titusville for some snook or redfish. The cost is about the same and I would like to catch a new species on the flyrod.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:06 PM

Several chances at fish in the Orlando area. I fish there with Jim Stewart and way too many gators for me to wade. The canoe or Kayak would wokr. Jim is a tier of somew of the best hair bugs i have seen. We fishes these bugs with 9 & 10 weights and the bugs are big. 3/0 hooks and the bass are also big. I didn't get anything under 2 lbs.

check out this Federation of Fly fisher link for clubs in FL. All will help with fishing locations etc.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/clubs/2...te_Province=FL

Also the FFF offers a BassCatch award for anglers meeting the requirements. The FL strain and the Suwannee Bass and the Schoal Bass all swim in FL.

The following link will give details, and some more contacts for you.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/conBasscatch.php

some reasons to belong to the FFF.

Butte Irish
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Fly fishing for red fish/trout try http://www.spottedtail.com/. John is well respected in this area and has also written several articles about fresh water fly fishing.

Re: float tube fishing, I would think twice and three times before trying it in most of the lakes in FL.