Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

I am hopfully goin to get out on the clinch some time over spring break since i am out of school. If u see some one in a camo hat neoprene waders and about 15 yrs old come introduce yourself also.

FFM4LIFE
Old 03-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Could very well be sulfurs but there's a good chance it may be American Sycamore seeds as well. The seeds look very much like a sulfur adult.

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioima...ecies/ploc.htm

Last edited by RFowler; 03-18-2007 at 06:49 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 08:51 PM

right on rfowler. as soon as he said "hackle" that's what I thought of. I believe that's what he saw. those things have been fooling me for the past 2 weeks in the park. they look and float EXACTLY like a yellow mayfly. they look just like something you'd tie up with a yelow body and yellow hackle at the front. sulfurs I believe have dark grey wings.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Scott

Fishing on the Clinch is currently slow. My last 2 outings were on Sunday, the 11th, and Thursday the 15th. Sunday I managed 5 tiddlers on beadhead, stripped, peacock-quill bodied midges... size-20. This was up at the Massengill bridge hole.

Thursday, one tiddler on the same midge, then an 11-inch rainbow on a modified pheasant tail nymph, size-16 scud/caddis hook. This was near Clinton, downstream of Lewellyn Island. This nymph is a good imitation of a sulphur and a BWO.

I have seen no mayfly activity on the river. Have seen one or two adult caddis flittering around in the trees, but nothing on the water. There have been very rare occurences of dimpling or smutting rises for midge emergers. However, that kind of activity was good about 2 weeks ago at the weir pool (above the weir dam) in the late evening.

Things should start to improve soon. For an alternative to the mountains and the Clinch, try the Holston river below Cherokee dam. The generation schedule is good now. You can access this area from Nance's Ferry Road. The turn-off is in Blaine off Rutledge Pike. When one generator pulses every 5 hours, you do not need to leave the river this far downstream (unlike the Clinch). You'll notice an increase in water speed, but the water only comes up about 1/2 inch.

The trout tend to be less picky than those on the Clinch. They will take numerous nymph types, soft hackles, and caddis patterns. This river is loaded with caddis... various green and tan bodied species.

Check a Delorme topo map to find the road to the river. Good luck and good fishing.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Cold evening on the Clinch above the weir. Low, slow,and no wind made for a tough evening. 7 fish to hand, all 10-13", one brown and the rest bows. I was really surprised, there have been some huge hatches and lots of rises, but very slow, maybe the changing weather. I saw maybe 3 fishermen above the weir to the cable pool. Maybe they were all watching the NCAAs.

Oh well, next weekend.

How about those Vols catching and GAFFING those Wahoos!!!!?
Flat Fly'n
Old 03-19-2007, 01:31 PM

Trevor,
I've seen sulfurs (all over) with anything from almost solid white, yellow, to dark gray wings. Many varieties. Great site for identification... http://www.troutnut.com/

Those little seeds can be very deceiving can't they?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM

Great point Rusty.

The seeds or flase sulphurs as I call them, have always marked the start of spring for me....and it's a good bet that the actual sulphur hatches will begin within a month or so of seeing the false sulphurs.

I wonder how many of those seeds get sipped down or if the fish wait on the real mccoy before moving onto yellow bugs.