Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE
Default Clinch

Has any one fished the clinch recently and what are they biting?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Did you write TWRA, bigun?

Yes, I have fished the Clinch lately, but the info will cost ya.

Did you write Mr. Fiss from TWRA a note on what changes you, as a young man, would like to see in the future?

Flat Fly'n
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Wink Write the letter!

FFM4Life -- I fished the Clinch for about an hour last Sat before the wind blew my 4-wt outta my hand! I caught a grand total of 2, and they were dinks. I was fishing the usual stuff -- #18-20 zebras. Saw very few rises, no sulphurs and only a few creme midges around the banks. A friend of mine did much better than me earlier last week landing an impressive 21-22" bow taken on a #18 BHPT.

Write the letter and good luck on the Clinch!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 AM

flat fly n,

I, as a young man, would be willing to write Mr. Fiss. Though I have only fly fished for 4 years, I have "fished" the clinch for well over 15. Maybe the fish seemed so much larger because I was so much smaller then, but I remember going down there and consistantly catching LARGE trout as a child. When I first started fly fishing 4 years ago, I remember consistantly catching trout in the 12"+ range. The past 2 years I've caught fingerlings. I've experienced as much as anyone that there is something wrong with the clinch. The problem is that I am not familiar with the various techniques and strategies of fisheries management, and therefore have no suggestions to offer. I would be willing to learn though. Earlier you stated that you were trying to leave your opinion out of this. Since you seem to be educated on these matters, I ask that you please tell me what you think would best help the clinch. I'm trying to form an opinion myself, but it's hard with so many people suggesting so many different ideas. I believe getting different input and ideas out of everyone is a good thing. However, I wonder if Mr. Fiss or whoever makes these decisions may not feel like me; a little confused with all the different opinions coming his way. it seems to me the most effective way to get anything done would be for everyone to unite under a central idea. I know not everyone will ever agree completely, but there should be one common specific goal. If you can help me understand what that may be, I'd be very willing to help accomplish it.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Clinch

Guys,
Don't think I am holding out some great info on the Clinch for a letter. I am in a kidding kind of way trying to get people who fish this river protect this river. You can either live with the dinks or change it, it's that simple. It is also good to see the younger generation interested in flyfishing. It kind of reminds me of having my now 18 year old in a backpack at age 3 and fishing the Clinch and Little River with him yelling "fishy fishy". BTW he still fishes and has written his letter as well. I have and will always go out of my way to help young folks on the river at any time.

So here are my suggestions to Mr. Fiss. The only other suggestion that I would have is to somehow provide a minimal 200-300 cfs flow at no flow times at Norris if TVA would cooperate.

Dear Mr. Fiss.

These are the changes I would like to see on the Clinch. These would not effect any landowner from catching fish on their property at anytime, or stop anyone subset of fishermen from catching fish on the river as a whole at any given time. These suggestions would also bring the Clinch (one of the heaviest fished tailwaters as outlined in your report) in line with the tailwaters that are presently “protected” with rules and regulations that are in place.

I appreciate your time on this matter.

Slot limits on the ENTIRE river of one or both species of trout found in the Clinch river. Slot limits have been proven time and time again by numerous states to improve trout fisheries. This would help increase the wanted larger fish and protect any potential breeders for the future, while allowing those that want to kill fish, a better “keeper”. Landowners could still fish and keep fish, only they would have to obey the slots as well as others. Projected cost- minimal. (only signs would have to be printed)

Set aside a delayed harvest section from the Weir dam to Norris dam from Oct.1 through Feb to give both species a chance for breeding and protection. TVA owns this section and no individual owns any land along this area. Fishing could occur but no fish could be kept. Artificial only would be preferred during this time to avoid deep hooking and increased mortality as shown in the scientific literature. Projected cost- minimal (again, this would only require signs to be printed)

Better reinforcement of the laws, period.

BTW FFM..........
Since you said you wanted to learn the insects.......Ephemerella invaria and dorthea nymphs (mayflies/sulphurs)were in the 61 bridge area last weekend and a few were hatching, but a size 14-16 beadhead nymph, I prefer copper, cast directly upstream (easier to control drift) with soft lead weight 6-8" at the tippet knot worked pretty well
Old 04-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Those are great solutions
easy and common sense
Old 04-07-2007, 01:08 AM

flat fly n, thank you for sharing your letter. thats exactly the information I wanted to hear. as tn hound says, those are good solutions, they'd be easily accomplished (financially at least) and just make plain good sense. I can support those ideas and will write Mr. Fiss to tell him my opinion. thanks again for helping me understand this better.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Clinch River solution

I think Flat Fly n has the right idea on what needs to be looked at on the Clinch.

mstone
Old 04-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

I fished the clinch friday and had probably one of my best days on the water. I ended up landing about 14 fish and lost probably 10. All came to hand with a #20 BH zebra midge and some kind of black and green BH nymph and black rubber legs. When i was leaving some guy was fighting a fish so i stopped and watched. It faught for nearly 15 minutes and he finnally landed it. It ended up being a 22" Rainbow..(what a fish)!