Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Fishing report for April 2nd and 3rd

Haven’t posted much lately but wanted to share this backcountry trip. After reading the Fishing report yesterday morning this backcountry trip almost sounds made up?

April 2nd and 3rd

Weather- Perfect (sunny and upper 70’s)
Water-51 to 52 degrees and crystal clear
Fishing – amazing! And only with one dry fly.
Fisherman- solo…
Scenery- No words to describe!

Hiked in on the 2nd set up camp and proceeded to one of the two streams in this particular area. As mentioned, the weather was absolutely perfect and the waders never made it out of the backpack! Fished the smaller stream first. Decided to go with a larger dry fly to test things out. Tied on a #10 Yellow Stimi and never changed this fly the entire two days of fishing! Actually, I had to tie on a new stimi as the original was so tattered that I started to lose floatability. Anyhow, the dry fly action was insane, not another fisherman around and 30+ brookies and bow’s got excited and landed by the yellow stimi offering this fine day.

Much of the first day was a mixture of magnificent dry fly action, early morning and evening hatches and sitting streamside to enjoy god’s artwork of crystal clear streams and lush mountains. Returned to camp that evening satisfied, built a fire and settled down to a warm meal. Sat around the fire after dinner and felt extremely lucky to be a Fly Fisherman here deep in the smokie’s.

Day #2-

Woke up around 0600,made some coffee, walked down to the stream, and enjoyed a cup of joe while waiting for the sun to peak over the mountain. Had a little oatmeal for breakfast, broke camp, and headed for BC site #2. Today would easily go down as the best day of fly-fishing ever. Again the weather was perfect and the hike to camp was full of solitude and mountain splendor. Made it to camp about 2 hours later, got things set up, had a little snack and entered the cool water about ten o’clock a.m. Today was, well… magical. I fished 3 streams and all were full of hungry brookies and bow’s eager for my #10 yellow stimi and basically I just didn’t even attempt to count how many I caught. At times I caught fish smaller than my fly, but most were 6-10 inches with the occasional 11 and 12 inch. I had to laugh at the number of fish that were fooled by my fly. It seemed that with each cast…..fish on.

By the way, if you have never gone solo into the backcountry I highly recommend it!

So I closed out a very productive day, sat around the fire that evening a very thankful fly fisherman and crawled into my bag content. Around midnight I was startled awake by an explosion of lighting, thunder, rain and wind! Who ordered this? This was quiet unexpected and tomorrow was to be my last day to fish! If you have never been in a lightening storm in the mountains with your tent as your only protection you are most definitely not missing anything! I survived the night intact and because of high water decided to hump-it out and am thankful for my good fortune.

On the way out I ran into a few fisherman eyeing the high, off color, water for prospective holding areas, had a few words with them (no LRO board members) and moved on. Stopped by LRO and let dubbing in as I entered. I spoke with Daniel briefly, said hi to Byron but he seemed engrossed with work and I didn’t want to hold up progress. I shopped around for a while purchased a new hat and shirt along with some flies and headed for home. Although my trip was cut short by a day due to inclement weather I have no complaint’s!

P.S. All those fish I caught… they are still there and growing!!! Hope everyone can get into the mountains for what is likely to be a great fishing year!! Here are a few pics of the trip. Enjoy…
Mark….

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 04-08-2007, 01:36 PM

Awesome report and pictures! I do believe I recognize some water... I'll be heading up there or else over the hill as soon as school gets out for some backcountry action...can't wait! Gotta love the solo trips, there is definately something magical about it....
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Nice post...hope to get some of those pretty little fish next week.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Default dry fly

a great post--the pic's made it better---I believe there are great times to be had,fishing solo-Truth is---we fish solo no matter how many folks are around---your post makes me understand why I yearn and think about the streams of the Smokies---
Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 PM

That is an excellent report! Glad you were able to keep it safe and get into lots of fish! Check your pm......

Craig
Old 04-08-2007, 11:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

What stream was this? Glad you did well..also. very nice pics!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 AM

Cool Wow!

Great pictures! Well, our story was not quite as good. I brought 3 guys for some smokies fishing for the first time this weekend (Friday-Sunday). We stopped at "The Shop" got some flies etc. We then made our way to Elkmont and hiked in to camp 24 where we had planned to camp. We had decided early last week to stay in the cabin instead. The fishing was poor to terrible. We cooked some dinner and hiked out. Saturday, we wanted to go to NC to fish Noland creek. Of course, the road was closed. So, we went to Greenbrier. It snowed most of the morning. Later in the day we put the fishing gear up and drove to the top, stopped at the Alum Cave trail on the way back to hike to the bluff. On the way, we met some guys coming back from Le Conte. They said it was zero Friday night and snowed 6 inches. I don't know how much it snowed, but I bet they froze up there. I understand it was a record weekend. Maybe we should have camped. We could have bragged about camping on the coldest April in history. We sure will not be bragging about the fishing. The only good thing about the fishing was stopping at LRO.

Can't wait to go back for some good fishing weather!

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFM4LIFE View Post
What stream was this? Glad you did well..also. very nice pics!!!!

PM sent

Mark..

Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I truely enjoy the backcountry. For those who have had good success this spring - much more in the future. For those who have fallen victim to the forces of nature and the dreaded skunk,tomorrow is a new day with crystal clear waters,warm temps and rising fish!

See ya out there- Mark.......

Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 PM

I enjoyed it very much - and the pics made it even better! Thanks!