Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Chimneys Area

Ever fish from the Chimney picnic area up to the Chimneys trailhead? Always wanted to but have never done it, always try to find water in the backcountry instead. With my work schedule I fish alone and after my scare on Bradley Fork two years ago next month I'm cautious, might be getting older or using my head more But, I think 2007 will be the year to do it. How many hours do you allow? Can it be done in a day, or do you finally have to quit fishing and climb out the bluff to Newfound Gap Rd? Always surprised as how short the walk back down the trail or road is compared to how far I thought I had covered on the water Parents wouldn't let us "stretch" out legs as kids, "a bear might get us" as an adult I've made up for lost time.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:44 PM

I have fished it extensively for more than a decade. I can give you all the info you want. PM and I will give you some details.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 PM

No good fishing there....
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Default What happened

Don't want to bring up bad memories, but what happened on Bradley Fork. I have fished there many times myself.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Scare on Bradley

I was fishing alone as usual, but what do you do, if you work Friday-Sunday and am off Monday-Thursday. You go fishing

I was upstream from the confluence of Chasteen Creek so you will know that the gradiant of the stream is not great by Smokies standards. I was fishing up a run and came to the head of the run and instead of the usual wall of boulders as the freestoners are known for, it was more of a flowing wall of water, I'd say two feet high and lost it's drop over a 5 to 6 feet run. As I made my way up to the lip of the water, I stopped to look the upstream pool over and the stream bed, as I moved upstream I planted my left foot on what looked like a big flat rock under the slick water, it actually slanted to the right and downward. My foot moved down and to the right and lodged in a vee between two rocks, it threw me off balance and I was falling backwards caught in the rock, I fell backwards and somehow turned to the left throwning myself onto the rocky bank, it turned my hips, lower back and knee out of "socket". But, I'll take that over what was going to happen if I didn't make the turn and fall to the bank, I'd fell straight backwards and been under maybe a foot of water and we all know how strong moving water is, I'd been there until I was found and I personally don't think I would have known I'd been found. I buryed my first wife from breast cancer when I was 31 and raised two babies by myself for 4 years, I now have a precious 5 year old and I just turned 49. I'm doing everthing in my power to stay on this side of the grim reaper.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Danger

Wow! We all face some danger each time we go out there. Glad you were able to hang around for "the good stuff" including more fishing.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.