Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-21-2007, 10:54 PM

Default LR Float

Today I floated 9 miles of the Little River. Yes, I am exhausted! I started at 10:30 at the Park boundary and floated all the way back to the dam below Jarvis bridge. Way to much to properly fish in one day. There are alot of big rainbows (20"+) that have been stocked and they are spread out throughout the Townsend water. I went mainly to fish for Smallies so I only threw streamers all day. Caught probably 10 stockers mostly in the 16" range but wanted to get on down river to try out some new patterns I've been working on for the past few weeks. I spent too much time with those trout and didn't get out of Townsend water till allmost 3pm. I finally started catching a few smallies and ended up with 4 fish to the net, before I had to quit and run down to the takeout. I finally made it back to the vehicle around 7:30pm. I missed fishing so much good water but I saw lots of good fish (trout included). and I'm looking forward to doing it again. Just limit it to about 3 miles of the most productive areas next time!
Didn't take any picts. of the stockers but I shot a few of this Smallie. He measured out very close to 17".

Old 04-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Float

Never fished LR. Could you do that float in a drift boat? Looks like fun. I love smallies!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:12 PM

TA, The river is very narrow in places and shallow. There is also a 15ft dam that has to be portaged. There is only 1 ramp for boats and it is at the takeout. A rockered canoe would be the only other craft I would use. I think even a one man pontoon cat. would be difficult to manuver especially in some of the rapids.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Float

Thanks! That knocks that out.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:36 AM

Can you give some more info on the boat that you are using. I have a 9ft pontoon that I would like to bring up in the summer for doing this but I am very interested in the boat that you are using
Old 04-22-2007, 12:58 PM

Its an Aire Lynx 2 inflatable kayak 12.5 ft long. The white water guys call them "duckies". It will seat 2 people and is rated for up to class 5 WW. I only fish Class 1-2 rivers and it handles them no problem. It is hard to cast and control the boat position by yourself so I float to the area I want to fish and pull over to the bank and wade. With 2 people, the rear person paddles and the front is free to cast. Aire makes ww rafts and is the parent company of Outcast.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Well if you are looking for anyone to float with you and help 'control' the boat, I am always looking to go after some smallies. I have noticed that a boat would be nice to float the deeper holes before you can get to the next place to wade.