Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Guide for the Clinch dry flys only

Hoping for Wednesday this week to hook up with a friend and FF the Clinch before generation. Any guides out there?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 PM

Don't have any info on guides, but you may have a tough go of it with dries only - may have some action with midges and blackfly dries and some caddis...may be a tad early for sulphurs just yet. If your wading, a pt and zebra midge dropper olive or gray is a great way to start until you see some surface action.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Jdwindon,
Guide here, although my guiding experience is on the Southfork of the Snake in Wyoming and Idaho, I suggest just as Waterborn said if no topwater action switch to some nymphs. Ive fished the Clinch quite frenquently and if your hardcore drys...stick to the ripples, thats where the feeding fish are most likely to take, and stay small even if you cant exactly match the hatch, repeately drift the fly through the run where there taking eventually, one will rise!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 PM

I haven't fished there in a while, but in prior seasons before the sulphurs, I've fished a griffith's gnat successfully. also may try a small black caddis. if you're persistant, you'll get a rise. I once saw another member of this board catch a trout on a yellow stimi in january?! it could be slow with the dries right now, but if you fish them consistently, I believe you'll catch some fish.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Best dry fishing for the Clinch

Up from 61 bridge on the Clinch. I've been going after stripers lately, but several weeks ago the sulphur nymphs were in better numbers than I have seen in awhile. You can park up behind the church that is on the road adjacent to the Anderson Co. jail.

Good luck,
Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 PM

I have had good luck the past few saturdays on the griffith's gnat at miller's island. They start to hit about 6pm.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:18 PM

jdwindon,
I guide the clinch. And as the others before me have said you may have a tough go of it with dries only. If you want to fish dries, as the guys before me have said stick with the riffles or if you see risers in the slow water,pick your fish and keep putting it over his head, he will eventually eat if you don't spook em'. Fish 6x and flouro if you can, and like clinchguy said try a griffiths gnat 18-20 they will eat it just sometimes takes several drifts. good luck.
Jake
Old 04-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Clinch no more??

Fished the Clinch all day today. Put in at Miller's Island around 10:00 am and waded/fished the channel down the east side of the island 'til around noon or so. Dropped a size 18 BHPT with an olive tail off a size 14 parachute Adams and couldn't miss. Almost every cast and almost all 6" to 9" stocker rainbows. And it was real easy to sight fish and cast right to 'em. That didymo is good for somethin' as it turns out! That rock snot is so pale right now that you can spot whole schools of fish... right out there in the open. I guess it's likely gonna take them a couple hundred years to adapt their coloration to match the rock snot I've never caught so many fish and been so disappointed in a day's fishing! Last time I fished Miller's Island was about 14, maybe 16 months ago. You could actually see real rocks on the bottom. You could see the rocks you were wading on. Today?? Just a light ash gray/brown waving bio-mass. No rocks, no gravel, no ledges... just schools of stockers hovering in these weird gullies Around 3:00, Brett pulled in his best fish of the day - about a 13" - 14" stocker rainbow. Normally, Brett would be jumping up and down for anything over 10". Today it was just... "I'm done." It was too easy and we both got really tired of having to clean off our hooks after every third drift. That gets old really fast!

Truthfully, the only thing that happened that was mildly interesting (enough to take my mind and attention off the dismal situation with the river) was coming across a stolen purse While wading downstream on the East side of the island, I came across a red wallet caught up in some tree roots. ID and keys in the wallet. Of course, no cash or cards... but some ID. A few hundred yards further downstream I came across the purse. More keys, makeup, no ID. Had my cell phone and spent about a half hour trying to track down the owner by way of her SAM'S card. SAM'S was very helpful and even gave me the member's phone number of record (probably violated all kinds of federal regulations in the process), which rang into a recording that informed me the number was not set up to receive incoming calls. Last time I ran into that the number belonged to a pay phone... I'll try again tomorrow with some of the other ID.

Maybe that was the straw that did it. I was totally pi***d off at the condition of the river to begin with. Then I got more pi***d off at the stench of the river on the East channel (I would later find out that the West channel smells somewhat better). Then I'm force to face the final ignominy The Clinch has become a dumping ground for snatch and grab crime.

I don't think I'll be going back to the Clinch anytime soon.

Gerry
Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 PM

The largest number of fish I've seen caught on the Clinch has been in riffles with a soft hackle. I didn't see any trophy fish caught that day, but saw loads of them brought to hand.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 AM

I've spent several days over the past week working on the Clinch. Best dry fly action has been late afternoon and further down river. Sulphurs have been light to moderate but fish have noticed and will eat low riding dries and suspended nymphs or softies in the film.

Other than that the typical Clinch bugs (midges, scuds, etc.have been catching plenty of fish before the hatch.

IMHO, a well presented, well tied small soft hackle could probably be used all day long and catch 90% of the spotted risers you encounter. But the subsurface action is almost nonstop.

The didymo is just about out of control. I've spent several hours over the past few nights bleach bathing my boat. Everybody who fishes a variety of waters should just buy a spray bottle and a keep the bleach solution in your truck to spray your gear as you leave. Unfortunately, USFS recently posted didymo signage in the Hiwassee corridor and that scares the H E double hockey sticks out of me.

The good news is that while we're still catching a bunch of the "capacity study" fish, we're also seeing about 50% of our catch going over 12" with some real nice high teeners mixed in.