Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Clinch Report 5-9

Well, I abandoned my beloved Park waters yesterday in search of the sulfur(er?) hatch on the Clinch. I've heard some good reports lately so Andy O' and I met on the water late afternoon behind the jail. We fished from 2:00 or so until just after 8:00. It was the best day I've ever had there using dry flies only. I quit counting after a dozen. Size 16 or smaller seemed to be the best producer. It didn't matter where we were fishing, deep runs, shallow beds, flats, or riffles - they were feeding everywhere. That section of the Clinch is special to me because my brother taught me to fly fish there, I caught my first trout on a nymph there, then a few weeks later caught one on a dry. If you decide to go, good luck.

Thanks for the flies Andy!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 PM

I fished miller's for a few yesterday and caught all my fish on sulphur patterns. First time in a long time that I havent used a nymph at all on the Clinch. No fish of any real size, but the larger ones, 7-9", had really good color for bows. Good luck to any who may go.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:52 PM

thanks for the reports guys! I think I may slide on over there this evening.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM

nevermind, 2 generators
Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Default generators

Trevor,
The river has been off all day. I fished for about 2 hours today at the church (lower part). Small hatch, but touched about 7, LDR'd more. The river has a pretty good amount of sulphur nymphs in some places, more than I have seen in years.

They are cutting one at 4, the water won't be down until about dark or 8:30.

Flat Fly'n

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 05-10-2007 at 06:30 PM..
Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Picking up where Flat left off...

I fished on though the afternoon and evening and the fish continued to hit well on a PT and a prince. Nothing big, but a lot of hookups and a beautiful day. I don't fish a lot of drys, but the surface activity picked up late afternoon.

Flat, I think we chatted as you were leaving (about 3:00?). If that was you, it was good to meet you and I appreciate the advice. The guy wading wet stayed for about 2 1/2 more hours after you guys left (or who I assume was you). He's more of a man than me...
Old 05-10-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Generators

By the way, Trevor, I stayed until about 7:30 and the water coming on (at 4:00 as I recall) was nowhere to be seen at the church.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 PM

Well boys, i guessed I missed a few of you then on Weds. afternoon. I had a good day that started around 1100 and caught quite a few on an orange BHPT nymph. Switched to a CDC comparadun when the hatch hit and got a few more. Next time I will try and introduce myself!

AA
Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 PM

Smile Same here!

I was fishing the lower end behind the church Wed afternoon, too! I left before the hatch around 3, but it was still a good early afternoon's fishing. We need to meet up in the parking lot or Steve Brown's old fish camp and intro ourselves! Headed back that way tomorrow - gold Tacoma 4X4 with ext cab and Knox county plates. Stop and say, "Howdy"!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM

psnapp - was that you with the stringer full of supper leaving around 2:30? If so, I was the one in the white Ford gearing up.

AA - were you up around the Island above the jail in the bend or did you fish somewhere else Wed? If that was you, I sure wish we could have met. I've enjoyed your posts on here for quite a while.