Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 PM

Default paint creek adventure

this whole day started out pretty normal and ended with a twist. theres not much to report really as far as trout go. after finding out how much a VA lic costs, I decided to try out a new stream in my home state. I've been wanting to check out paint creek for a while, and figured today was as good as any.

first off, I should have gotten better directions than those given by jimmy jacobs in "guide to southern appalachia trout streams". I wandered around half the day somewhere between greene co. and who know's where trying to figure out where I was. I somehow even managed to find myself in some forgotten corner of cocke co., a place I've been told that if you don't have any business being there, ...well,...then you shouldn't be there. Wherever I was, I was starting to feel the need to be armed.

So I found my way over to paint creek. It's really beautiful over there. I fished for a few hours and didn't catch a lick. well, actually I caught a little shiner, but that's it. I talked to a man and his son for about 10 minutes, they were extremely nice folks. the man told me that the best way to catch them was with corn. I think he was correct, because they weren't taking anything I was throwing at them.

the whole day was very strange. somehow I ended up fishing for hours in some pond (right there in the national forest?!), catching giant bluegill. an older couple were there and they were probably about the nicest people I've ever met. we talked and fished for a couple of hours. they must've really liked me because they insisted that I share a watermelon with them. I was pretty famished, so I ended up eating about half of it. the woman said they usually had sandwiches and apologised because she did not have a sandwich for me to eat!

so that's it. I set out for some fine trout action and ended up panfishing and sitting around a pond eating watermelon with some people I didn't know. paint creek is a charming place.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Bluegill are a blast on the fly! Glad you had a good day and caught some fish...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-13-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
so that's it. I set out for some fine trout action and ended up panfishing and sitting around a pond eating watermelon with some people I didn't know. paint creek is a charming place.
Only in the South! Sounds like a ready made Southern movie! But that's what I like about our Volunteer state... Only thing missing is some Backer' spitting!! 0, and maybe some of the "recipe".

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-13-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Forgotten corner??

Good morning tt. That forgotten corner that you mentioned is where I was born and raised and even though it can look a little intimidating to someone from another area, the folks are pretty accommodating. I can sort of imagine what it looks like to an outsider. What I really wanted to tell you is that you were mighty close to brown trout heaven while you were there and did not realize it. It sounds like you wound up at the lower end of Paint Creek if you were fishing in a pond. If you're back up there any time soon, try the section inside the reserve which is above the campground. It is flies only. The lower part is delayed harvest, but it also holds some wild fish and they can be mighty big. I'm glad that you found some nice people and that they fed you well. Try to make it back up there on a cloudy dreary day. You'll be in for a treat. If you need proper directions, just let me know.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:20 PM

I've read a lot about some of the shenanigans going on in Cocke County; the Knoxville paper had a lengthy article about the Sheriff's office, etc...to be honest, it read a lot like what has happened in a lot of parishes down here - the point is, you can find stuff like that wherever you go. I love Cosby Creek, and while I haven't had a chance to interact that much with the locals around there, the few that I have talked to seemed friendly enough.