Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 05-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Fishing report 5/12/07

Byron,

I'm curious as to what Lefty thinks of your unique casting style There are times when I wish i was ambidextrous. I tend to be like the guy in your Elkmont story - I wade across to free up my right-hand cast.

It always seemed to me that the majority of the streams in the park are to the left of the road with an occasional pass under and to the right. Most of the East Prong is to the left of the road as you drive upstream. Even going up Tremont, most of the stream is to the left of the road. I always seem to be driving for miles to find a stretch that's to the right of the road - and that drives my left-handed son crazy

Gerry
Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 PM

I've never really thought about it but i guess somewhere along the line i learned how to cast both ways. I would think it would be a great disadvantage at times to have to wade across, or at the very least a big hassle!

Craig
Old 05-12-2007, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
I would think it would be a great disadvantage at times to have to wade across, or at the very least a big hassle!
That would be what's called an understatement.... but i do get a workout that way.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:22 AM

And I thought I was the only one who thought of this stuff? Just one of the reasons I like hiking-in to smaller streams!

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 AM

I have to admit i'm not quite as accurate when i cast over my left side (i'm right handed), but i can get pretty close. I'm not really sure how i learned to do it so i don't know of any good tips, but i would suggest just getting out in the yard and practicing it one day and then use it as much as possible on the stream. Eventually, you'll get it. I'm glad that this topic was brought up, though, because i've never really thought about it.

Craig
Old 05-13-2007, 12:22 PM

One good thing about casting over your chest is that your rod will never go back too far or you will hit your chest with your hand or reel. So your loops are tight even if you tend to "wrist" and go back too far on a normal cast over your right side (if you are right handed).

One thing I learned from taking Joan Wulff's Instructor School is to keep your thumb on top of the grip and use it as a "sight" to point to your target like the site on a rifle. Where your thumb points your rod will point and your line will go.

So, when you cast forward even over your chest point your thumb at your target. It works for me.

Byron
Old 05-13-2007, 01:24 PM

I think I'm going to have to check out one of y'alls classes sometime. I tried out the 9wt last night, and it definitely is different from flipping out tiny casts with the 3wt. Technique is going to be really important; one thing I noticed last night was, despite the fact that I was standing on top of a seawall and had plenty of room behind me, I was casting with a three-quarters sidearm motion - all my fly fishing this past year has been under a tree canopy, and I'm extremely conscious of it.