Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Possible Ohio Steelhead trip.

I'm in the VERY early stages of planning a trip to Northern Ohio this winter/early spring. I've never picked up a Spey rod but I'm very interested. What rods would you all suggest. My budget is 300 - 500 for a rod. I have a reel, but I'll need a line also. Any help?

Dude
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Not enough room

I'm not the most experienced Erie trib steelheader, but where do have enough room to toss a spey?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 PM

I was reading an article in Eastern Fly Fisher about the Grand River. The writer of the article recommended 9.5 - 10' 7-8 wt. single-handed rods for swinging flies and "short two-handed rods for both nymphing and swinging." I could always use another rod.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Smile

I have fished the Ohio and Pa streams for about 20 years now. There is definitley enough water in the Grand and even the Chagrin (20 minutes West) to use a spey rod. The bigger issue is generally finding enough solitude to do so. A lot of the popular holes get pretty crowded. If you do enough research you generally can out walk a lot of the anglers since they tend to bunch up around the access points. I personally use a 10.5 7 wt and a 13 ft Raven Float rod (Centerpin)on all of the area streams with out much difficulty. I can not give you specifics on Spey rods but If you have any issues about fishing the area let me.