Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Topwater

Ive thought about it for a while. But I want to get some opinons on it first. Ive heard that tying poppers and the like can be hard. Any first hand experience on this? I feel like I can save a little money on them, poppers to buy are just so darn expensive! Thanks.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 AM

Default easy poppers

I tie my poppers with the ready molded tapered pencil popper foam. Byron usually carries it in different colors. It does not absorb water like deerhair and takes far less time to make up several before a trip. You can cut them down in length to make different sizes for bluegills or leave them big for stripers and other bass. I always use a wide gap hook and lots of contrasting rubber legs. They are fun to fish and don't drain your bank acount on lots of paint and other materials. They don't have to be pretty with lots of detail to catch fish either!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Troutman:
So w/ this foam I can cut it to any shape? I could fashion some chartruse sliders (sneaky petes) or poppers or whatever, eh? Ill look into that...in fact Ill probably buy some of that. What are the best colors for smallies?

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2007, 10:03 AM

Default poppers

MNT TRT, The foam is about 3" long and has a cupped face on one end and tapers down over the length. I use a razor blade and cut the size I want and you can reverse the foam for a slider (sneaky pete style). Extra foam is used for bluegill bugs.
Be creative, experiment with different colors. Black, yellow, green, white. Tie in marabou tails or crystal flash or left over hackle feathers, rubber legs. I like to use contrasting colors. I know people who use old flip-flops and cut out poppers from them with bullet casings. Flat craft foam can be cut and glued together for different color combinations. Every river, the fish will want something different. Do your research on the main forage of the stream, experiment with different flies. Time on the stream is your best teacher. Good luck.

Last edited by Troutman; 05-04-2007 at 10:22 AM..
Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 AM

Default new popper pattern

MNT TRT, I've been working on some more topwater poppers with the foam. Bought some larger tapered foam this weekend and tied up some sliders and poppers last night. Have you tried any yet? These are a size 6 stinger with a size 2 saltwalter foam popper from wapsi. Cut 1 in half to make 1 popper and 1 slider.
I hope to try them out later this week.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:27 PM

hey mtn trt........I was able to see some of troutman's work this past weekend at the cook out. He has some fantastic patterns and is very knowledgable and eager to help, I don't think you could go wrong taking his suggestions.......

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13