Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 PM

Default another evening WW trip

Its been a week since I've wet a line so I took my 6wt. and my pack rod 4wt to work again today. I've been hitting the rivers after work a couple of evenings over the past few weeks. I decided to just throw some poppers tonight so I rigged up the little 7.5 ft 4wt. Nothing big tonight, 1 at about 15" and 1-14" and several smaller ones. caught a few more Redbreast also. I've been having so much fun lately that I havent used any trout flies in about a month. I may need to break out the superfine this weekend so I can remember what a trout looks and feels like! See you guys at the cookout Saturday. Heres a few more picts from this evening..................Troutman

Notice the little non-slip loop knot on the popper! Works good!

Getting close to dark!

Love these little guys too!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Bassman, I mean troutman.

By the time you get back on a freestone stream you will have to pull those poor trout out of the trees because of your aggressive hookset!

Great pics..

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-17-2007, 12:06 PM

what is the best way to work a popper in a stream with current? Do you cast downstream and work the popper back up or exactly the opposite. I havent been fishing in so long its killing me. I almost wish school was back in session because I had more free time then than I do now.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Default to aggressive

Dry fly1, since you mention it, I did hook a little 3-4" bluegill last week on size 6 bass popper. He nailed it like a big smallie about the time I was picking up for a double haul backcast and he went sailing through the air! Looked like a little dive bomber going back into the water. He probably won't forget that trip anytime soon!

MM135, I'll send you a PM
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Wed. evening trip

Took another evening trip this week. Called up a friend of mine this afternoon to meet me after work on the river. Chad is a guide in the park but has not done very much WW flyfishing. I arrived early and decided to fish a section I have been wanting throw some poppers into but would always run out of time. I tied on a new pattern I made up this past weekend and hooked up fairly quickly. A nice 16" smallie. We fished a couple of hours and caught alot of redbreast sunfish but I only caught one more smallie before we quit. I think the low water has slowed down the bite somewhat. I think Chad had a good time though, guides don't usually get to just relax and fish. Heres a couple of picts of the better smallie.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 AM

well I wish I hadnt of snapped my rod so I could have joined you guys. Were you fishing some new water this evening?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Not really new water, just a few places that have been passed over when I was just throwing streamers. The lower water level has made some of these areas good holding places and fun to fish with a popper.