Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Default 90 minutes on the SoHo

I rarely ever fight the weekend crowd, but my wife and daughter were going to a baby shower so I had a couple of hours to my self. I headed out to one of my favorite spots and was amazed to only see one car. A 10 minute walk put me on the river and there was no one in sight. I didn't see many fish rising but decided to tie on a sulphur and see what happened. 10 fish in 30 minutes is what happened! None huge but 2 were about 14". I decided to just enjoy it. I ended up with 24 fish in 90 minutes with the last one going 16". When I realesed that fish there were fish rising all around me, but I had told my wife that I would leave the river when she left the shower at 3:00 and it was 2:59. I just smiled and decided to end with that one. It's tough to turn your back on rising fish. Incidently I had fished the river about 3 hours Friday and worked really hard for 14 fish. And today was just supposed to be a relaxing trip. Well it was that. Also wet waded today which felt great in the heat. You guys who have never fished the SoHo owe to yourselves to do so.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Nice report! I've fished the SoHo only once so far and hope to make it up sometime this summer. Its good to hear that the river is fishing well. Are there any major hatches occuring lately or just sporadic bugs coming off?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Plateau,
The South Holston is all about sulphurs most of the summer. There are days when that want work, but that is the hatch that you are hoping for from middle May till the end of August. There was no hatch when I got to the river, but I fished a ripple area and picked up 2 good browns up next to the bank on dries in the first 10 minutes. The hatch started about 2:00 and was in full force by 2:30 every where you looked you could see the backs of fish breaking water. All the fish I caught were browns except 2 rainbows. I check the board almost every day. If you ever come this way and want company, post ahead of time and maybe we can get together.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Mike I fish the SH at times and is would be nice to have company at times.Drop me a line next time you think you might go.I am not that far away and being retired can go most any time. thanks dave mmfarm@ccvn.com
Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Default So Holston

Mike, great report! I just got back from a guided trip with a fella from N.C. We worked two different sections of the river this morning and the results were not real good. He only caught 4 fish in several hours. We decided to fish lower on the river in the afternoon and when we arrived, we could see fish rising, but they would not take anything we offered. We fished for 2-1/2 hours and did not catch any. We turned around at about 4:00PM and started back down the river toward the car. The fella said that he thought that he saw a couple of Sulfurs that had just hatched off. We had not seen any flies all day and I was sceptical, until I finally saw one flying around myself. I told him to sit down for a few minutes and we would see if any thing was about to happen. In just 2-3 minutes, flies started showing up on the water and the fish started feeding immediately. He stepped out into the stream and within two or three casts, he was into a beautiful rainbow of about 15in. From that point on it was one fish after another for about an hour or more. The hatch went from just starting- to heavy, within 8-10 minutes and the fish were going crazy. In one hour, the day went from almost a strikeout, to one of the better days on the river this year. Thank goodness for Sulfurs! Glad that you had a good one.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.