Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Caney Fork

Generation is off most of the day today, so I'm leaving work early and heading to the Caney. Anyone fished recently, any suggestions other than zebra midges? PA, I know you fished this week, what flies worked for you?

sb
Old 06-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Steve, I just saw this and its probably too late but I did well with zebra midges... Something with copper seemed better than silver... The fishing was best just before the generation came through when the water had dropped to the lowest level of the day.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-02-2007, 08:51 PM

I ended up only fishing about 2 hrs, caught some small ones, mostly on a little olive brassie below a dry.

sb
Old 06-02-2007, 09:47 PM

something other than a zebra midge......a tan zebra midge. When they won't take a black and silver zebra, i'll switch too a tan body with copper wire and copper bead. BHPT's are usually a good choice. In faster runs try swinging a soft hackle, it is a good producer some days.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 PM

Default I-40 Rest Stop

I stopped at the I-40 Rest Stop on the way from Knoxville to Nashville, after seeing that the generation schedule was favorable this evening. I completely struck out. I saw a few small fish in a shallow area, but there were no hatches and no surface activity. In a situation like that on the Caney what do you do? Find a deep run a fish zebra midge? Is it best to fish below the rest stop or above? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've travelled that road for 10 yrs and had finally decided that it was time to give it a try. The schedule said that they would generate from 5-7pm but the water didn't seem to started rising until about 8:15pm. Looking at the TVA website it looks like generation didn't start until 6p. Is it about 2-2.5 hours after generation starts that the water rises at that spot?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:35 AM

Yes it takes about 2 1/2 hours for the surge to reach the rest stop. The is not much of a hatch on the Caney due to the water going up so high and the down so low between generation. The schedule on the web site takes the water flow measurments at the end of the hour , so if they started at 5 it won't show up on thier report untill 6.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtn View Post
it is a good producer some days.

BHPT & midges seem to be the ticket these days.

Grumpy