Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Kayak Fishing

Hey guys,

I'm new to the board and moving back to the Knoxville area in about a month after living away in DC for a couple of years. In the time since I left, I've taken up the flyfishing hobby (curse?) and I'm excited to be moving back to such a great town to fish from.

My questions are for those of you who kayak fish. What type of boat do you reccomend? I've looked at a few and the Native boats really intrigue me because of their stability, but I haven't gotten any experience actually paddling any of them. Also, I was wondering what the best types of places to go are that are relatively close to town to catch some fish in a few hours? I'm not asking for anyone to give away any secret spots, just a general idea of some rivers/lakes. From what I have read on this site, I assume the Little River is pretty good for smallies. Does anyone go for the carp in andy of the lakes such as Fort Louden? From what I remember, they are plentiful and HUGE.

Any and all advice would really be appreciated.

Dave
Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 AM

I have never done this, and this would probabbly be considered distasteful, but you could put in a small craft on the tennessee river (fort loudon lake) downtown and fish around the waterside patio of calhouns on the river. there are mass schools of carp out there that boil the water at the slightest sign of anything being thrown in.

also, third creek runs through ut campus area and empties into the tennessee river. there is a greenway along the creek, and particularly around the mouth of the creek you can see large numbers of massive carp hovering the surface of the water. there are signs posted along the creek warning of bodily contact w/ the water due to severe contamination, so I'd be a little weary of fishing there. however, you'll often find bait fishermen at the mouth of the stream where it empties into the river. I doubt if anyone's ever thrown a fly around there, but if you want to catch a large carp in town, there you go.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 AM

Default E. TN Kayak fishing

The best kayak will depend on the type of water you will be fishing the most often. If you plan on spending most of your time on the lakes and slow moving rivers like the F. Broad and Holston then a SOT would be my choice. They are narrow and have better tracking and speed for longer distance paddling but still have good stability. If you want to run WW rivers then an inflatable yak would be better. Go by Riversports in Knoxville and see Andy. They have most brands of hardshell yaks and the knowledge to answer questions. I would go with a bright color like yellow or Orange because the warm water fish aren't spooky and the other boaters will be able to see you better on the water. Those camo boats are dangerous because all the high speed bass boats and jet skiers are rampant on all the area lakes. I would be wary of standing in any yak or canoe. Too many accidental drownings happen and with a yak you can get close enough to cast from a sitting position anyways.
Carp fishing areas are abundant on the area lakes and rivers as is other WW species. There are several access areas in Alcoa and in West Knoxville to Ft. Louden lake. Douglas, Cherokee and Norris Lakes are also easy drives and easy access.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like from what I see "carp season" is upon us. I can't wait to give them a try.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 AM

Cincivol, depending on what you want to accomplish when you fish, there are lots of parks and public ramps on Ft Loudon, Tellico, Melton Hill, Norris, and Watts Bar where you can launch a kayak and paddle to nearby fishy areas within just a few minutes. This time of year, you are apt to catch anything fishing early and late with popping bugs around boat docks and rocky banks.

I have a new SOT I am playing with now, trying to get comfortable with it. I have to admit that the idea of hooking one of those huge carp around Calhouns and letting it take me for the east Tennessee version of a Nantuckett Sleigh Ride sounds like a lot of fun.

PM me when you get settled and maybe we can work out a trip. I don't have any kayaking friends, and would enjoy the company, especially in this learning phase.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Just in case you missed it, PM's are dead.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:06 PM

I did. Thanks.

Cin (or anyone else who wants to plan a little local trip) just reply here or email richard.mowery at good ol comcast.net (keeping autospam down I hope).
Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 AM

Kingstonian,

Thanks for the invite, I'll shoot you an email when I get closer to Knoxville, probably in about a month or two and maybe we can tear into some of those Louden carp. I might have to rent a kayak for a time or two until I convince myself and my accountant (wife) that we can afford one. Has anyone ever tied a cornbread immitation fly?

Smiling_Dog,

Aa for fishing in DC, you would be surprised at the quality of fishing around here. You will probably have to drive a little further here than in TN to find good fly fishing, but it is relatively close by and high-quality. Depending on what type of experience you are looking for, off the top of my head I would suggest:

1) One of the East Slope rivers in the Sehanadoah National Park. The Rapahannock is the most famous and biggest but there are several others. I think this would be pretty similar to Smokys fishing, native brookies in steep pocket water. It's about 2 hours from DC

2) If you don't mind driving a bit further (about 3 hours), the Savage and North Branch of the Potomac in northwest MD are pretty famous tailwaters and are probably the most scenic rivers I have ever fished. There are naturally reproducing browns, rainbows, and brookies in the Savage. Highly reccomended

3) Finally, if you are at all into warmwater fish, Virginia is most famous for its smallmouth bass fishing. You can fish the Potomac 30 minutes from the capital and get into some good fish. About an hour away in Harpers Ferry where the Shenandoah and Potoamc come together is supposedly smallmouth nirvana (haven't been there yet)

There are other, smaller streams around that are closer to town, but if you are making a special trip up here, I would suggest one of those three options.

CV