Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Doe River ??

One of my clients asked me if I'd ever fished the Doe River in Roan Mtn. State Park. I told him I'd never heard of it so we looked it up in my DeLorme Atlas. He said he'd read somewhere in a book or magazine that it was an excellent trout stream. Looks to be fairly accessible and right up the alleys of a few members of the board, so I thought I'd ask here....

Anybody here fish the Doe River??

Gerry Romer
Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Doe River

Gerry, it is a good trout stream, but it is multi faceted. The lower sections of it show lots of signs of abuse from improper garbage disposal as well as severe flood damage thru the years. It is a stream that has a lot more potential than what you might first see if good cleanups and proper streamside care was given to it. It is much better in the section that leads up to Roan Mountain State Park, where the highway turns off of Hwy 321. Much better care has been given to the stream and there is good fishing thru this area. A lot of it is on private land, so be aware of that. It gets pretty small in it's upper sections and there are some good spots on up on the mountain. This one requires a lot of exploring and you'll find that it pays off.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:05 AM

gerry, if you ever want to check it out, let me know. I've been going up to the watauga lately and the doe runs right by it through elizabethton. i've been thinking about hitting it up next time I go up there.