Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Caney Fork 6/10/07

I wasn't sure if I was going to go out today. I don't like to fish in the middle of the day. I'm more of an early riser, get on the water by 6am type of guy. Since the Caney was generating from 5am-7am today I decided to wait and go late morning. My usual spot would have been still to deep to fish so I decided to hit the area right below the dam. I got there at 11:30am and the place was packed. I found a little room and started to cast. That's when I realized why I hate fishing below the dam. The water is painfully slow and I haven't figured out how to fish it properly. I had a good amount of hits in 3 hours but I missed several due to bad mending. I did catch 4 so it wasn't a total bust. I spoke with several people on the river and many were having a rough day fly fishing. I saw a ton of bait fishermen/fisherwoman pulling in fish but the fly fishing was difficult for some. I started out with a puff emerger. That lasted 15 minutes. Then I switched to a white scud. I fished that scud for the rest of the day and it worked well.

The river. Looks empty. You should see the amount of people behind me.

#16 White Scud with a black krystal flash back. I tied this but once I was out there I trimmed back the head and tail. I'm still new at tying so cut me some slack.

First fish. You should see the 7megapixel images. It's pretty cool.
Link to high resolution image ---> http://heyski.com/littleriver/bigrezfish.jpg

Another fish

I would appreciate it if anyone has some advise on how to fish slow water.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Very nice pictures! I can't consistently figure out that stretch of water either. I can usually pick up a few but some days it is very difficult to get just one or two. Every once in a while it is ridiculously easy but I still haven't figured out why that happens occasionally... The non easy times are by far the majority in that stretch for me.

One thing I've discovered in that water is that the fish are much better than anywhere else in the river at taking the fly without moving the indicator at all. Probably because they get so much pressure or maybe it has to do with the almost nonexistant current but I really have no idea. Some of the better fish I've caught through there have been when I happened to see the side of the fish flashing as it took my fly.

If you ever want someone to fish the Caney with, give me a holler. I always enjoy fishing that river...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 PM

That's a tough section of the river and I only fish it after work when I only have 45 min to an hour before dark. Scuds are more prevalent downstream starting about twice as far as you can see in the picture. The only tip I could give to fishing this section, if that's the only place you can get both feet in the water, is to know the terrain under the water and how the river channel runs. I learned it by floating over it in a canoe doing the family guide trip on weekends when the river is packed. There's a thousand better places to fish than this stretch of water but sometimes have to take what you can get.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Nice pics. I fished that section on Sat morning with the same generation. I don't think I've ever encountered so many rude people on the water. Ridiculous how many people lack the slightest bit of common courtesy these days.

Fishing was on fire until the water fell all the way out. Pumped the stomach of a fat bow and found tons of black fly larva...size 22 and smaller. As usual the go-to was an 18 zebra and PT. Also, I noticed several small sow bugs on my boots as I was leaving. May have to give those a try on my next trip.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 AM

There is just something magical about fishing slow water! Maybe it's just looking at it, cuz that's mostly what I accomplish! I just think the fish are too smart to take our close enough patterns! They want the real deal with some movement! I think it's the fish that take fly's in slow water that make my mouth drool! BIG SPLASHY RISES! You never see them! You hear it, and get to see the massive rise rings!

If you figure something out let me know! Very nice catch BTW! And there is definately a secret to tying scuds!

You made the best with what you had! That's a good day!!!!