Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TNGlen

TFO already has an 8wt 4 pc out. The one for $149 is the professional series (TFO 08 90 4 P). I own one and love it. I also have a 4wt professional and a 6wt TiCr. Haven't fished the 6 yet, but anticipate it to cast better than the 4 or 8.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Do you guys pick a quality line just considering weight and taper or do you
get into all the species and water specific lines? Again looking at my catalogs there are myriad choices for lines from each manufacturer.
I did quite a bit of research on that before I bought. The differences in the species specific lines and standard lines are pretty small. Basically, a WF7F is a WF7F for all practical purposes, whether is says trout or bass or tuna taper. I'd go with the standards unless you see a good buy on one of the specialties. I've use the SA Mastery Series and the Cortland 555 and they both work well. I do like that the Cortland doesn't require any special cleaners or dressing to work well.

LRO sells lines off their online catalog. Since you are here, you might as well check here.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks Kingstonian, Appreciate the info. In asking abotu the species specific
lines I was wondering about the line finish of one vs. another. I will look at the SA or Rio for my next choice. I pulled off a cheap SA Green WF5 Saturday. I got pretty frustrated with it. I'm throwing my 3WT. 6'3" rod about 20-30 ft further than my 5WT 8'6" rod. I can't feel the rod loading at all. I was trying to throw large poppers with 2 to 4 hooks for bass and I couldn't get any distance, especially when the wind picked up a little. I picked up my smaller rod and threw Bream poppers 10 yards further but I could feel that rod load up, huge difference!!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Saturday

Troutman,
Here's my Saturday results with a couple of Smallmouth and a picture of a
Bream from the pond the other evening. We had a nice float Saturday with the exception of the flyline problem mentioned in the above post. My Dad went with me and we caught about 18-20 Smallmouth and a couple of gills.
We had a slow start but toward lunch time they started to turn on pretty
good. It was overcast most of the day and the water was still cold from 3 days of clouds and cool nights.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Sounds like a good trip! great picts also. If you need to throw for distance with bigger poppers and streamers, the Rio clouser line is designed for that purpose. Pricey line but it does work well. If your 5wt. rod is a fast action or "tip-flex", you could overline it to slow it down and load the tip quicker.
My float trip was good, but very few fish caught. The little smallie I caught was the best fight all day. Lots of back and forth runs and bobbing of the rod tip. I hooked into a good size smallie right before quiting, but it broke my 3X tippet after about 15 seconds. I was trying to get it on the reel and should have let it pull out line from my fingers. Live and learn!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 PM

Default They're heeeeee-eeerrr

Hey, I was just on Watts Bar in my kayak, paddling around SW Point. Saw one swarm of willow flies, but a LOT of dead ones on the water drifting down the Tennessee River side. Also some bluegills feeding along the bluff and riprap near the Hwy 58 bridge.

Not sure what is downstream, but it is probably time to start planning a trip down here.

The flies I saw were about 730 PM, but that may just be because that is when I was on the water.

If they hold true to form, the numbers will increase over the next two weeks.

So come to Roane County for the willow flies, and buy some gas and groceries to help pay for my kids' schools.