Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Question Trip to Hiwassee this weekend

Need a little help with planning. What is hatching/may be hatching in the Hiwassee river this week/weekend? Would like to tie a few flies prior to coming over.

Also, I understand this is a river that is subject to rising water due to turbine generation. This may sound like a silly question, but I plead ignorance as a novice. How do the trout react to the rising cool waters when the turbines are on? Assuming a guy is wading down river, will a siren sound a warning? How far can this be heard?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM

I've had more luck as the water is going down. It might just be that that is the evening and when I've been able to be down there. My go to dry fly is the Griffiths Gnat. That simulates most of the things that I see come off the water year round. There are other hatches that occur of course. I like swinging soft hackles also. I almost always use a wooly bugger of some kind also. I find a lot of info from the stream reports on www.Hiwassee.net. The guy is extremly nice and a teacher at heart if you ever meet him on the stream.

I really have never heard a siren but the water follows the schedule when I've been down there. I have always fished upstream from Fox's Cabin to the Powerhouse. There is a lot of river to discover there.

Flying Trout
Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Hiwassee

The Hiwassee has one of the most diverse insect populations around as far as tailwaters go.

In the mornings I have been seeing midges, small black caddis and light colored mayflies, I think they maybe cahills. In the afternoon you will start to see Isonychia's hatching off. This past weekend we had some large yellow mayfly's coming off, but I couldn't get a hold of one to get a pic and verify.

As far as flow goes, just make sure you double check with TVA before getting out to see what the schedule will be. TVA does have a siren they operate up near the Powerhouse. It goes off 5 minutes before they turn the water on. You can hear it at the Powerhouse boat ramp and little lower. But once you turn the corner on river and drop a couple of shoals it will be muffeled and much harder to hear.

There are places that can be waded on two turbines. The site provided by Flying Trout has all of that information. Don also lists the times in which it takes water to get to certain areas of the river depending on how much water TVA is generating.

Good Luck!

Petey
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM

I have been working two jobs for the past two weeks and have finally scored some time off from both jobs and should be going down there late Friday night after I get off my last job so if you see a Tundra with Bradley county tags you should stop and say hey cause i should be there all weekend.