Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM

Default 1st Carp on my 3 Wt.

I was on my local stream Wednesday a.m. and saw a string of 4 Carp that looked like they were mating and could not get them interested in anything, but it turned out to be an omen. I was tossing a #6 homemade Peacock Clouser (Hurl body and tail with white bucktail top and bottom) and had caught a few Rockies and 3 SM dinks. I was using my 3 wt. and had just downsized to 4X tippet when I hooked a good fish. My first thought was a good SM, but then it made a 50 yard run upstream followed by one almost as long downstream and I knew I had a Carp on. After a good 20 minutes I got it into some shallow water and was able to pop out the hook without lifting the fish. Both of us sat there catching our collective breath. I estimated the fish to be about 17-18" and in the 5 pound class. What a great battle! How's the Bugle-mouth Bass fishing down south?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Carp are always tough to catch and I would think especially tough to land on a 3wt without snapping the rod or tippet. I've been using a cover scent to mask the human odors on the fly and it seems to help with more hookups. Its been a few weeks since I fished for them on purpose but with the luck I've been having lately with broken rods, an 8wt. is as light a rod I would use on them. This is a good time to target them but with our low water situation, it has been hard to get close enough without spooking them.