Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Tying flies from tennis balls

Hey everybody. When I went fishing a few days ago with MTNMNN288, I decided to try something different. I tied a green weenie using the felt off a tennis ball. I didn't try it out until after I had caught a few fish, so that I didn't get skunked. I managed to catch a few small bows, and missed one of the bigger fish of the day on it, approx. a 9-10 bow on a very small stream. Has anyone else ever done this before? I guess the material doesn't matter, just that the fly looks similar. My fly got all torn up, so I can't post a picture of it. Maybe I'll tie a few more and get a picture up on here.

I was just curious if others have experimented with tennis ball felt.

Matt
Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 AM

never experimented w/ tennis ball felt. however, I did make a killer streamer out of a basketball once. I'm kidding. seriously though, post a pic if you can, I'd like to see what you're talking about.

here's another tip: if you happen to have a koosh ball, that thing is rubber leg city. there's one on my desk at work that has 3 colors of rubber strands on it, yellow, orange and purple. I figure I can use the yellow and orange. I don't know how much they cost, but I'm sure they're no more than 5 bucks. they are the perfect size for legs, and there's hundreds of them on one ball. def cheaper than buying legs in a pack.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM

Trevor,

I tied another one up real quick this morning. Here's a few pictures for you. Let me know what you think.

Matt

Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 PM

that'll catch em. I'd experiment wrapping some colored ultra wire around it for added kick. what are you doing, just pulling the fur off the ball and dubbing it on there?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Trevor,

I'm actually cutting it off the ball in strips approx. 2" long and 1/4" wide. I haven't tried dubbing it on. The felt doesn't like to stay together very well unless I keep in in one big piece when I tie it. This is actually only the second fly I have ever tied, so I don't really know all the fly-tying terminology to explain to you better what I'm doing. I'll give the wire a try and let you know the results. My apologies for not being able to explain the process very well. The most time consuming part is cutting the felt off the ball in one piece.

Matt
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM

matt, here's a pic of a fish I caught on the basketball streamer