Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Decided to try Campsite 18 instead of 24

Well After an envenfull trip for nashville, Bumber t0 bumber traffic from west nashville To Mt julet, No key to the gate to the company chalet had to hike abou 1/2 mile up hill to the chalet at 11:00pm. Campsite 24 closed due to bear activity, what to do. Stopped at the vistors center the Lady with backcounrty check in suggested site 18. Thought middle prong should have OK water because of the storms. Headed over to LRO to pick up my windwalker chest pack and try to fine some cheap wading sandales for Gaintfish, no luck and I decided not ot spend the extra money on a new pair of boots for him (which cost me later on).
Hiked in from the Bote mountian side. Great campsite the river looked fine.
As we fished that evening I started noticed the moss on the rocks was about 12-16" from the water. Not fine! Tough fishing I caught one creek chub and one Rainbow on a red copper john. We tried again the next morning after a cold night i figured they would really come alive. Couldn't get them to hit any mymth, But missed several on dry flies. The water was too tech for Gaintfish so we decided to come on out and fish little river. But I am planning on returning when there is more water.
I could tell Gaintfish had enough hiking so we stoped along side the road before the Elkmont turn off (better known to some as the place of the pamper, still in the same place after 2 months. Again I mised several on A yellow pa.
Got a late start Sunday morning and hiked up above Treemont about 2 mile. Now I am going to pay for not buying Gaintfish a new pair of boots Meet morgan and hiked with him a little ways and found a nice pool for gaintfish to try. He sneaked down to the edge and made a rough but wrokable cast and mmorgan and i both saw a trout take his cooperjohn but alas too much slack. about that time Johnny Redneck ( sorry I am Still a p..... over this) with a spinning rod with what looked like red Salmon eggs came up the trail entered and climbed on the rock above the pool Gaitfish was fishing and started casting in the same pool. With in inches of where Gaintfish was working. It takes all kinds! Well believe it or not we watched a least four more takes on the cooperjohn but he just couldn't keep the slack out. We all know how this feels.
I told him to come on out and meet at the next pool. I notced he was standing in the middle of the trail. Whats Wrong? I think we have a problem. What. My feet are killing me. Can you go a little farther? Yea. I then noticed that we was in a lot of pain. Size 8-1/2 in my size 11 sandals that I had straped as tight as I could. so we traded shoes, a little better but not much. It is my fault, They seemed tight enough. I hate buying him wadding boots that he grows out of in 6 months. Hiked out with Mmorgan and headed straight to lro and bought him a pair of Chota. (thanks Danial).
Had a great time spending the weekend with my son, very proud of how tough he was. Been in poor fitting shoes with blisters myself and he impressed me with how litte he complained. He thinks I am slaming him online because I wouldn't let him read over my shoulder. But I really am Proud of him.