Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 AM

Talking rod selection for average saltwater fishing

If you had the choice for only one rod to do most all saltwater flyfishing what weight rod would that be? I have a 10 weight now also an 11 wt but I am wondering what size rod do I need to complete my tackle selection for smaller species like bones, permit, striper, reds and so forth. Any info will be appreciated. I don't want a rod that over powers the fish so they are no fun but isn't to light as to over play the fish causing them harm.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 06:28 PM

I would suggest an 8 or 9. I find that for most of my light saltwater duty (bones, reds, snook, baby tarpon, etc.) that a 9 wt is in my hands more than any other size. It handles wind better than an 8 and allows you to more comfortably cast larger flies. Unless you are heading to Central America or some places in the Bahamas, I think that 6 and 7 wts are of little practical use in the salt. The 10 that you already own is perfect for permit and calm weather tarpon and the 11 will handle any tarpon that you hook.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 AM

I agree with Drew. At one time I fished with an 8 weight most of the time in the salt. I use a 12 wt for Tarpon, a 10 for Permit and have a couple of 8 weights for everything else. Then I tried Paula's 9 weight, loved it and bought one. I hardly ever cast an 8 wt now. The 10 wears me out but the 9 doesn't.

Drew,

Nice site. I clicked all over it. You guys did a great job.

Byron
Old 07-20-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the comments Byron. We are going to try to have regular reports (doubt they'll be as regular as your's) and I hope to have a new photo gallery from this tarpon season up in the next week or so.

Drew
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the info. I will definately keep this info handy and will refer to it when purchasing my next rod.