Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Default high water carp

Took a little walk today along a local river during lunch. The recent rains have brought the water up about a foot in height and is the color of choco. milk. Yeah!! I like to watch the carp rooting around the weedbeds and try to guess their sizes. Today, noticed some tail action in a clump of grass and the tail was as wide as both my hands layed together with fingers spread. It must have been 20+ pounds and I'm guessing over 30"! Why didn't I bring the 8wt. with me today?!!!
MMorgan135, now is a good time to get close without spooking and maybe hook into a Gar if your still game! Trash fish or not, they are a handful.
John S, From now on, I'll try to have my gear with me!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:26 PM

gar are amazing on a fly rod they fight hard and like to tail walk all over the place good luck with those tailers
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 PM

My schedule next week looks like I will have some time off in the mornings and around lunch to make the drive up there and still be back to work by 5. I have been running around all over town getting ready for my backpacking trip this weekend. I've have been waiting for a much needed break so hopefully I'll get back to the warm water fishing soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 AM

Got into the Largemouth after a couple of good showers this week. The water stained up a little and I tried poppers late but no avail. Switched over to a crawfish pattern and started to get strikes. I caught 6 Tuesday evening before I broke off my fly and went back yesterday evening for awhile. This was all in a farm pond choked down with lilly pads. Even with the rain you could still see maybe 2 foot into the water but we got about another inch yesterday evening and into last night. I am just so glad to see some rain, I know the farmers need it terribly bad and the gardens too but I get nervous about the fire situation when it gets so dry. Seems we've had a bunch of them get out this year all over the country.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 AM

Did you catch those Bass on the new rod? I love my new glass rod, The average smallie will bend it in half when fighting, but it has plenty of backbone so you don't worry about overplaying the fish. It flexes all the way into the butt section and has great sensitivity, something I have missed with my fast rods. We have finally been getting the rain we have been needing. The counties north of Knoxville and the Mtn. areas are getting more than anyone else.
I'm heading over to a nearby lake to group family camp this weekend and hope to catch a few largemouth out of the kayak. I never did get to really target them this year due to low lake levels during the spawn, and of course the river smallies are hard to leave!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Yeah, it's hard for me to leave the river if they're on. I've been breaking in the new rod, have caught several on it this week. I tried last week but the largemouth had just turned off with the heat/draught. I guess they were pretty deep. Anyhow I know you'll have a good time camping and hope you tie into a few that will pull the kayak around. One of my buddies just got a new G3 tunnel hull with a 90 4 stroke jet outboard. I am envious, he can run in about 4 inches on plane, my boat (I have a 16' Pro Deep V w/ a 40 hp) will
take about a foot or more. He's got me looking at them now with these low water conditions. I have been using my canoe but without having 2 vehicles to make a float I have to paddle upriver and fish close to the truck. Good luck this weekend!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Default riverboats

When I win the lottery.........

A lo-pro 186 www.riverpro-boats.com

Dare to dream!!!!