Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Question NC side this weekend?

We are thinking about checking out some streams on the NC side of the park this weekend. We were thinking maybe Big Creek or Oconoluftee? We've never fly fished at any of the NC streams so any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 AM

I would suggest Straight Fork; it's a nice stream, where you have a very realistic possibility of catching all three species, perhaps in one section of stream. It has a wide variety of water types, and seems to maintain a cool temperature. Best of all, it's fairly easy to access. It is a bit of a drive, through the Reservation, to get to it, but it's worth it, IMO.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

straight fork is pretty and nice. when you enter the gate, stop and climb the little knoll on your left....there is the sequoah cemetery. neat little piece of history.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Default NC Side

I have fished more on the NC side than the Tennessee side. I think it has less pressure. Straight Fork is a great stream with road access. If you are coming from the west, I would certainly stop by Big Creek. It is a fun stream with lots of big boulders. The fishing is not quite as good as Straight Fork as a general rule, but I like variety. So, I would stop by there and fish for a while and then make my way to Straight Fork. I would not completely discount Deep Creek if you have time to hike a while.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

if you go to big creek......about a mile down the trail there is a SMALL manway straight up the hill in the bushes....it goes to a rockhouse. was probably used as shelter for thousands of years.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Wow...didn't know that - next time we're up at Straight Fork, we'll have to check that out.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM

We ended up at Cataloochee and hit Big Creek on the way back. The water was up and looked good at both places. We didn't catch anything however. Of course that could have been our newbieness at fly fishging too. I completely forgot to look for that rockhouse! Darn it. Next trip to Big Creek I will. We drove the gravel road from Cataloochee back to Cosby. I love going that way...so peaceful and pretty.

Next trip we'll go to Straight Fork.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM

Default For Fishnlady

FYI, I remember being a newby in GSMNP. I couldnt catch ANYTHING. I finally turned over a couple of boulders to see if there was even anything in the stream. Noticed some very pale yellow eggs of some sort on the bottom of one of the boulders. After that, I tied on everything pale yellow in color that I had and finally caught a few. I even had a light yellow sj worm that caught a fish. Dont know if this is helpful or not but you may want to give it a shot. Whatever you do, dont go fishing alone. I was at Greenbriar by myself and slipped on one of the boulders. I swear it knocked me out temporarily. Im fortunate I didnt slip into the water unconcious. I severely slipped on one at Tremont too. Of course there were like 50 million people there. If nothing else, someones line would have snagged on me..
Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Big Creek

FishNlady,
I have fished Big Creek several times. The lower section can be a slow go, because of the pressure. Hike above the camp ground before you start fishing.
Cataloochee offers more water to fish with less pressure from other fisherman. I personnally like Cataloochee better because you have a chance to caught some good fish. Cataloochee can be a tuff creek to fish if it is clear. Thats the case with most park streams.
I have lived in the Cosby area all my life and your are right it is a beautful place.
Welcome to the wounderful world of fly fishing. good luck on your next fishing trip and keep on casting flies.

Best,
Bill