Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM

Default finish this thought

If I lived and worked in Maryville (within an hour from the Park), and I was wanting to skip out of work early on Friday (if I go in at all), I would fish _________________(where)_______________, because ________________(why)___________________.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 AM

Talking Never thought about it...

Buzz, how about this...

I live in Maryville and if I was to skip out on work on Friday (or leave early), I would fish the WP of the Little Pigeon just below, at or above the Chimney Tops Picnic Area near the road, because the water temps may be cooler than any other place I can get to in 75 minutes, I might catch some brookies and I can still get Cell Phone coverage, in case my boss calls me or something urgent comes up at work.

Not that I've ever done anything like that, or even thought about before...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM

If I lived and worked in Maryville (within an hour from the Park), I would most likely be living in a box under a bridge within 6 months. The temptation to leave work early or find an excuse to skip work outright woult be too great for my weak constitution to withstand.

Places to fish? how could one possibly go wrong?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:03 PM

PeteCZ, I was kind of thinking of something along the same lines. I wasn't sure how long it took to get there, but knew it would take less than 2 hours. However, I won't be worrying about the cell phone. I usually try to beat the boss out the door on Fridays, he'll be at the lake waterskiing by 2:00, and my clients know that it's next to impossible to get in touch with me on Fridays during fishing and hunting season (51 weeks of the year).

jeffnles1, my house isn't much bigger than a box. You got to have some priorities and a house is just a place to lay your head when you're not working, fishing, or hunting. There's just too many things to do around here to afford a nice house.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Weak Constitutions

From my house in Oak Park, it took about 80 minutes today (not counting the side trip to LRO to buy a replacement rod) to get to just above the Alum Cave Trail. Traffic was really lousy inside the park (worse than this past Sunday), so if traffic is lighter, I could probably do it in 70-75 minutes (assuming traffic isn't stopped near the Laurel Falls trailhead by tourists gawking at a bear, like it was today). I might be tempted to stop before the Chimney's Tops Picnic area and walk down one of the "Quiet Walkways" and get away from the sound of cars (and kids throwing rocks at me or people taking pictures of me, like they did today).

For those of us who can't go anywhere without our cell phone, I was watching my phone for signal strength and it appears that coverage gets suspect around the picnic area. Down below it, it was quite good. I know this because I spent too much time on the stream (testing the new flyrod) and wound up taking a conf call from a "Quiet Walkway" parking area on US441...

The air temp felt like the upper 70s and the water was 62. It sure felt better up there than here in Maryville this afternoon. I think my constitution is weakening rapidly....I need to fish more...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 PM

Early in the morning it takes right at an hour to get from Maryville to the Chimneys picnic area (or so I've heard). Add significant time to that during peak traffic times.

I tried the Alumn Cave trailhead area a couple of weeks ago and there was barely a trickle up there. That was before all the rain so maybe it has improved since then.

If you're up in the Chimneys trailhead area or above on Friday look for a blue XTerra; it's another Murvillian with a serious addiction hunting the wiley brookie. Great water up in that area.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com