Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM

I like the Mountain House meals. The spaghetti and chicken and rice are my favorites. The mexican chicken and rice and chicken stew are also good. I like taking dried fruit to eat for a snack while on the stream. Dried cranberries, pineapple, etc.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:07 AM

I see a lot of people sounding off about MRE's and other expensive pre-pakaged meals. MRE's are great for guys without the time or ability to make a fire (like Marines in the field). If you are walking back into the mountains you can pack a few things that will taste better, provide you with more chow in less space, and cost a whole lot less. Get a small tub of butter flavored Crisco to gease you skillet or pan, a gallon zip lock bag of flour or corn meal to bread the fish, a gallon zip lock of de-hydrated mashed potatoes, a gallon zip lock of de-hydrated milk, a bag of big sticks of beef jerky, a bag of M&Ms, two boxes of granola or breakfast bars, two boxes of oatmeal broken down and placed in a zip lock bag, and a box of cocoa powder broken down. Stash a bottle of blackberry schnapps into a buddy's pack and you and two other guys can eat two meals a day for very little cash (as long as you're catching fish). Breakfast is oatmeal (throw some M&Ms in there). Midday snacks are bars, candy, and jerky. Dinner is fried fish with mashed taters (maybe with some jerky thrown in). Bring a skillet, a pot for the oatmeal and the potatoes, a spatula and a wooden spoon. All the chow and the required cooking gear can fit in the bottom of one man's pack. If you do this right, you should be hungry enough at every meal (from fishing or walking all day) that you don't care that you are eating the same thing every night.
Save the MRE's for the next time you are bouncing around in the back of an AAV and you need to just pull some chow out of your cargo pocket.
-Griff
Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM

Wow. If I ever go on a long backpacking trip, I'm taking Brian.

A general comment, Brian, is that us non-Marines don't have 1/100th the survival training you do, and it's a lot easier to shell out money for trips we may only take once a year. We'll be doing good to just get our tent up before dark without a strained ankle.

I was wondering, and this is getting a little off topic, what kind of knife do you bring on such a trip? For example, the fish. Do you just gut 'em and eat 'em, or would you fillet and skin them? Also, with the supplies you described, how long could you comfortably go (in other words, no eating bugs)?

And I like your signature. Must be why my life has been harder than it had to be.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:12 PM

Awesome post,BrianGriffing.I always carry,oil,flour,skillet,salt,pepper.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Thanks, Snaildarter. I always carry my K-Bar back in the mountains, but I rarely use it. I guess I carry it just b/c I've gotten used to it and I think it makes me look cool. I only ever use it cut a green branches to carry fish and I sometimes use the hilt to pound on tent stakes. I always have a Leatherman but I use that only slightly more often than the big knife. The knife I find myslf using all the time fishing is a small folding box cutter that fits comfortably in my front pocket. It takes replaceable and reversible razor blades and is great for cutting line, cleaning fish, or cutting rope. If I use one of the other two, it is usually a result of having done something stupid immediately prior.
As far as length of stay in the mountains: how much do you want to carry and how long are you willing to eat instant mashed potatoes? You'd be suprised at how many days of food you can carry if you don't change your clothes and just carry rice. If you want to put a little more time in on the front end, you can measure out how much instant potatoes and how much dehydrated milk you need for each meal and put that in its own zip lock. Every baggy is a meal and depending on how many you carry is how long you can stay. Every meal, bring a pot of stream water to a boil, dump in a baggy, and a spoonful of butter flavored Crisco and dinner is served. If you have fish, so much the better.
To cook the fish, clean them leaving the head and fins on. Melt some of the Crisco on your skillet over low coals and place the fish in an empty trash bag with a little bit of the flour. Shake. Place the fish on the skillet and wait till it curls or is brown and then flip it. It is done when the flesh flakes off the ribs in chunks. Eat the fins, eat the skin. When you're done only the back bone, ribs, and head remain. Fresh trout and mashed taters eaten out of a pot with a wooden spoon, all passed around the fire on a summer evening after a full day on the water: there's nothin' better. Only thing left is to look for your buddy's pack where you stashed the booze...
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM

aluminum foil, salt, pepper, and limon juice (if you wish) and bake a few trout. Alot lighter than flower, and skillet but I would eat the hound out of some fried fish if someone else carried that skillet. Spruce tree tea, ain't bad to drink if you been drinking water for days. Nip off the bright green tips and boil it in your water. I learned that at the Tremont Inst. as a kid. Also if you want a good read on survival look into Tom Browns' Survival books. Very interesting (and tough nut) guy to say the least. As for a tent, carry a tarp, some parachute cord and a bivy sac. Lighter than a tent, but if (and something I never understood) feel "safer" in a tent carry one.