Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Direction to Hesse Creek

When I was in my early teens back inthe 80's, a local fly fisherman would talk about fishing Hesse Creek. He would not give away the location of the creek. The fisherman would only say that it was in the Park. Can any one give me directions to this creek? Also what would be a good fly selection to use on this stream?
The help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

hesse creek is up beard cane trail if i remember correctly
Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM

The best route looks like driving up to the park boundary on Rich Mtn Road and then hiking 5.4 miles on the Ace Gap trail and .4 miles on the Beard Cane trail to the intersection with Hesse Creek.

But the easiets way to fish Hesse Creek is to shell out $800/night and stay at Blackerry Farms...
Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Thanks

PeteCz,
Thanks for the information, I'll save my money and take my chances hiking in the 5 or 6 miles. That way I'll get to enjoy a part of the Park I have never seen. That is the fun part of finding new place to fish is the exploration. Do you know if there are any camp sites on this creek?

Thanks,
Bill

John 8:12
Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 AM

Bill, Campsite#3 will be your best bet. Its at the confluence of Beard Cane Creek and Hesse Creek, about .2 miles from when you first get to Hesse Creek from Ace Gap.

That sounds like a good one for the fall. You might want to check the flow and temperature as it crosses under US321, before making the hike in. Its at about the same elevation (1360 at campsite#3) as the "Y" on the Little River, so the water maybe getting a little too warm to fish it right now. It drains from some low-lying points (as compared to other streams in the park), so the water doesn't start off very cold either.

When you do make the trip, Let us know how it is. I bet not many people ever go there.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 AM

Default PeteCz

Thanks for the information. I will wait until late Sept. or early Oct. fish this stream. My nephew and I have talked about a weekend camp out.
Again thanks for the help. I'm going to the Cosby Park to get a couple of hours of fishing in before work. The creek is only a 10 min. drive for me, so I will take advantage of some stress relief...I'll give a report about Cosby later to night.

Thanks,
Bill

Philippians 4:13
Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Man_Bill View Post
Thanks for the information. I will wait until late Sept. or early Oct. fish this stream. My nephew and I have talked about a weekend camp out.
Again thanks for the help. I'm going to the Cosby Park to get a couple of hours of fishing in before work. The creek is only a 10 min. drive for me, so I will take advantage of some stress relief...I'll give a report about Cosby later to night.

Thanks,
Bill

Philippians 4:13
I really envy you guys that are so close to the fine streams in the smokies. I
have got a 4 1/2 hour drive just to get to Townsend. Might not be good for
me to be that close though, I would have trouble doing just a couple of
hours fishing before work. I would be tempted to turn it into several hours
fishing before work.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM

Default To leadwing

Leadwing,
Living so close to all of this water. Is a good thing and bad. The bad part is leaving the creek to go to work when the fish are biting or not. Also it is hard to find time for my honey-do-list. My wife gets a little mad over this. I think she is beginning to understand my passion for fly fishing. I've given some though to pave my yard an paint it green so I would not have to mow. That way I could spend that time in the creek. Would that be taken it a little to far? The good think about is enjoying what the Good Lord created for us and taking my daughter fishing with me. Also, getting to talk with other fisherman on the creeks. The main thing is find some water or stream close by and enjoy the time spent there.

Best,
Bill

May the Lord Bless you this day....