Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Had to share this

I went to a local tailwater here below Brookville Lake in SE Indiana. I've been fishing there a few times this summer. Water temps in the upper 50's even though the air temp is up around 100 here this week. Wet wading is a joy when it's this hot.

Anyway, I hooked up with the largest brown I've ever caught. Unfortunately, it broke my line as I was reaching for the net. I'm not great at estimating fish size while they're still under water, but as it swam past my boot on one of its runs, I am guessing it about 17-18" and very fat.

Even though it was a hands free release, I'm still counting it I had it on the line for about 3 minutes or so. Seemed like longer as it was fighting, but in reality, it was probably about 3 minutes.

For me, it was a real pig. I know a lot of guys catch larger, but it was the biggest trout I've ever had on the line.

To make it even better, it was my first time on the water with my new rod. I just picked up a Scott G2 9'' 5wt. It's a sweet casting rod for sure. The tippet break was my fault as I didn't anticipate the fish's last run. I was using 6X tippet and it snapped at the fly.

Oh well, it is still in there and I"m going to get it next time.

What a rush.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Congratulations, Jeff!

Paula
Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Jeff - -

My wife and I went camping near Brookville lake a few weeks ago (we've been able to get there 3-4 times over past couple years), and had a couple chances to get 'into' the tailwater - - had some luck (couple of bows around 12-14") but not quite like your experience.

The tailwater is a real treat for going after trout with a fly, only about 90 minutes from Indy, and as you report holds some good-sized fish. In times past, my wife has commented 'you almost forget that you're in Indiana'.

Glad to read your story - - been thinking about trying to get down there again, perhaps, this weekend.

Mark
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstu View Post
Jeff - -

My wife and I went camping near Brookville lake a few weeks ago (we've been able to get there 3-4 times over past couple years), and had a couple chances to get 'into' the tailwater - - had some luck (couple of bows around 12-14") but not quite like your experience.

The tailwater is a real treat for going after trout with a fly, only about 90 minutes from Indy, and as you report holds some good-sized fish. In times past, my wife has commented 'you almost forget that you're in Indiana'.

Glad to read your story - - been thinking about trying to get down there again, perhaps, this weekend.

Mark
Mark,
The water is cool and the stream is in good condition. It's a little frustrating that they are surfacing all over the place, but nobody I've talked to can figure out just what they are eating. There's been a hatch the past couple weeks of these near microscopic little specs that look like a caddis, but they are about a size 32. I've done pretty well on midge nymphs, but you will do a lot of casting between hits. However, the fish are there and active. Perhaps you'll have something in your fly box that will work.

I've caught a few on royal coachman size 12 to 14 the last 15 minutes or so of daylight. I've had a few hits on griffiths gnats and small black midge. Nothing on any of my caddis dry flies.

Good luck to you. Let us know if you do any good.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Big Brown

Congratulations Jeff, that is some kind of a rush to get a big brown even so close! I am sure that G2 is a sweet rod as well. I have several older g's wouldn't part with them.
Tight lines,
John
Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 AM

hey Jeff.....great report....I'm in NW Ohio and been meaning to get to Brookville but just haven't yet. Are there any sites that show locations and fishable areas??

buckeyetrouter
Bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetrouter View Post
hey Jeff.....great report....I'm in NW Ohio and been meaning to get to Brookville but just haven't yet. Are there any sites that show locations and fishable areas??

buckeyetrouter
Bob
Bob,
Her is a page created by a local fly fishign club.
http://www.davidfrenchphotography.co...lereport.html\

There is a little hand drawn map there and though it's not to scale, the streets and parking areas are pretty accurate.

There is a rec area right belowthe dam where you can park and get to the stream. There is also a little city park that runs along the river and you can park there to get access to the stream.

As for what flies to use, I'm still trying to figure it out. These are not wild trout but many of them are hold overs that have been in the stream for a year or two. There's a ton of food in the stream and the fish are fat and well fed. Scuds, midges, some tiny caddis and more crawfish, muscle shells and other bugs than one could count are living in the stream. There's so much food the fish can afford to be very picky.

Also, there is quite a bit of pressure on them. There's always water to fish and a number of times I've been there, I'm the only one within eyesight or the next closest fisherman is over 100 yards away. But even so, I think the fish there know the difference between a Timco and a Mustad hook and can tell if you're using Orvis or Rio tippet and if the knot on your fly is a clinch, improved clinch or surgeon's knot. But fish are caught even by a newbie like me.

Good luck.

Jeff