Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 PM

Troutman,

I noticed in your picture that you are using an inflatable kayak. In your opinion, how does the boat perform on flat water? Is it rigid enough to track pretty well? Finally, are you ever afraid of piercing the hull with any of your bigger flies (like a Clouser), or does it seem pretty tough? I'm thinking of getting a boat pretty soon and the inflatables are interesting.

Nice cat btw, I have caught a couple on accident on a minnow fly, always a welcome treat.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Default floating for smallies again

Met up with Leinart this afternoon to do a little warmwater fishing with one of my fellow LRTU chapter menbers. I also wanted to try out a new custom 3wt. fiberglass rod I picked up this week. We wanted to go brookie fishing yesterday morning, but decided to take our boats and try for some smallies today instead. Had a great time showing Dan some of the areas I like to fish and we ended up with several smallies and lots of gills to hand. This was the first fish caught on this rod and was 14" of pure muscle that almost bent the 3wt double!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Awesome! I didn't get to do much FF last week. Did try the Catfish Friday with my wife on Buggs Island but didn't do much. I'm gonna try to get a little in this week but we're headed your way on Friday. We're going to stay in Maryville with my cousin through Sunday then go back toward G-Burg for the rest of the week till the following Thursday. I hope to fish some of the beautiful water out there at least a couple of days next week. Take care.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM

Bran, send me an email and I'll try to give you some ideas on accessable areas while your here. I'll be camping this weekend but may be available to fish an evening next week if you want company.

CinciVol, sorry just now answering your questions about the kayak. My yak is designed for white water rafting so it does not track well on flat water. It does not have a skeg to keep it straight so you get the fishtale action. This also means it is slow compared to a canoe or standard SOT rotomolded kayaks. The up side is that it is light and compact and can be stored in a small space and will turn on a dime in moving water. It takes about 10 min. to inflate(hand pump) and snap in the seats and add all my gear. It is extremely stable and I can backpaddle to hold a position in current much like a drift boat. Its very puncture resistant like a ww raft and normally just bounces off rocks with no effect. this boat with hold two people and light gear. there are some other good inflatable kayaks and canoes on the market by Star infl. and Soar. Aire also has a nice infl. canoe (traveler) that is bigger and you can put a rowing frame on it if you want to fish tailwaters with generation. send me an email if you want more info.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Glass Rod

Troutman,
That is a pretty rod. Is that a Lamiglass blank?
Thanks,
John
Old 08-10-2007, 11:00 AM

John, Yes that is a 7ft 3wt Lamiglass built on a honey colored blank. Cigar grip and downlocking seat. I bought it for less than $100 from the builder. It is going to be primarily for small stream dry fly fishing, but I couldn't wait to cast it to the smallies and gills! It throws small #8 and#10 poppers with ease. Leinart said the rod looked like a big "C" when this smallie was on the line. Can't wait till we get some rain and can head up to Greenbrier for some brookie action on it.