Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Default TrASH

Can anybody explain why people leave all their trash in such a beautiful place as the GSMNP? This has been one of the great mysteries of my life. Buged to no end ! slickrock
Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Why? I can tell you why - it's because people can be fundamentally lazy and stupid, particularly when they've put away a few barley pops. Every time we go to the park to fish, we end up carrying up several pieces of trash back to the car from the stream. The last time, my daughter found two nearly-empty shampoo bottles in the middle of Cosby Creek. I can't tell you how many beer cans and cigs we find.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Can anybody explain why people leave all their trash in such a beautiful place as the GSMNP?
That is one of the easiest questions to answer that's been posted here in a while

They're selfish, self centered, egotistical red necks who don't give a darn about anyone or anything. They treat their homes like garbage, they're probably driving a piece of garbage car, they don't respect themselves, their neighbors, or their kids. How can we expect them to respect the park or us?

These clowns think someone else will clean it up. Some of them believe in the garbage fairy and think it just magically disappears overnight and wonder why there's no quarter under their pillow the next morning.

My wife and I volunteer with our church a lot and we see this attitude all the time. The world owes me a living and every bad decision I've made in my life that caused me to be in the situation I am is someone else's fault.

The people who throw their trash on the ground and just walk away from it are cut from the same piece of cloth.

Sorry, off my soap box now. Between the trash and the Abram's creek thread (harrassing bears), my dander is up.

I do not live close to the park and my family and I visit several times per year. We always end up carrying out our own stuff and a bag full of garbage someone else has left. We love and respect the park and the surrounding areas. I've taught my son to respect others, respect himself and respect nature, to clean up after himself and, when necessary, clean up after others.

You know, it takes a little work to get a child to behave properly, but it's an investment that is worthwhile.

I guess the main answer to the question is that people, for the most part, are lazy.

OK, now I'm off my soap box.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Jeff - Very well put!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM

Default jeffnles1

Jeff,
Very well put. I agree with you. I really hate to see people mistreat our parks. The parks were formed so people could come and enjoy nature in its purest form, not for us to look at a garbage dump.The parks should be some thing that all people who use them to respect and care for. People should enjoy the beauty that makes the park a special place not destroy it because of laziness or selfishness. Finding trash in the park really gets to me. If people are caught throwing trash down or picking the plant life or harassing the wildlife in the park they should be fined a great amount of cash and made to stand at the park entrance holding a sign that stats " I'm a big loser" with the crime the committed in big bold letters or better yet just flat out bared all together from the park.

Best,
Bill
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 AM

I agree with you Jeff. I try to take out all the trash I find as I fish the creeks, or hike the trails. In my opinion, if I don't carry out the trash then I am just as lazy as the perosn who left it there the first time. If everyone makes an effort to pick up a piece or two of trash each time they visit our beautiful park, it would be a great start to reducing the problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM

How someone can leave their trash in a place as beautiful as GSMNP has
always been a puzzle to me. Pehaps they do not see it as the special place
some of us do. I think Jeff is probably right about the type of people who do
this. Certainly a person who doesn't even respect him or herself, isn't going to have respect for the beauty of nature.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Think Jeff pretty much hit it on the head.. I see someone chuckin trash out their window makes me wanna pick it up and follow them home and throw it in their yard... But, like was said, some of these people's yards you wouldnt even be able to tell... Would like to be in the right place at the right time and be able to chuck a half full slushy back in their window right after they threw something out.. lol

Marmot